• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My New Used Turbo Volvo

smurf244

The smurf is no more
1991 780 aka SE Dyno Killer

I just got back home with my new used turbo Volvo. It's a all stock 1991 780 Bertone :cool:; dark blue with black interior and has 136k miles.
780Bertone001.jpg

780Bertone003.jpg

780Bertone002.jpg

It will definetly get a bigger turbo and 3 inch exhaust but I am not sure what else I want to do with it.
Tell me what y'all think and tell me what problems are common it these cars.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
apply these items:

15g, 3" exhaust, IPD turbo cam, Browntop injectors, MBC, NPR intercooler, billy HDs, Lower Brace, good tires, 24mm front sway, poly where possible.

the problem with bertones is preventing them from becoming a POS, because any bertone specific parts are terribly hard to come by. many bertone owners on this board have extra cars because they are so paranoid about not being able to get certain parts.

WOW :omg: What a car! It looks brand new. I love everything about the bertone's and ones you get a better turbo i am sure it will be running with the best of them :) Nice find!

Nice and clean. BNE has everything you'll need :)

Thanks.

Damn where did ya find it? Looks good..

Thanks, I was just driving around a was like "Oh s**t, was that a Bertone for sale?" So after some haggling, I got it.

apply these items:

15g, 3" exhaust, IPD turbo cam, Browntop injectors, MBC, NPR intercooler, billy HDs, Lower Brace, good tires, 24mm front sway, poly where possible.

the problem with bertones is preventing them from becoming a POS, because any bertone specific parts are terribly hard to come by. many bertone owners on this board have extra cars because they are so paranoid about not being able to get certain parts.

I working on a deal for a 15g off an 850 and I am thinking about a K cam instead of the IPD T cam. I have a few sources that I can get parts if need be so I am not too worried.

Thanks,
Adam

apply these items:

the problem with bertones is they weigh 300-400lbs more than your normal 740 turbo and they have craptastic IRS

Fixed, but since you have a 91' your IRS actually decent.

i commend you on buying a 91', you shouldn't regret it at all

Fixed, but since you have a 91' your IRS actually decent.

i commend you on buying a 91', you shouldn't regret it at all

no no, he is correct. Bertones are like any other 700 full of ****ty interior plastic, nasty headliners, leaky moonroofs etc. Just now all that **** is rare and expensive ****. Great.
Such said, that is a great color, and the bertone is the one 700 I can look at and not feel sick.
The other good thing is that most bertones come in a few colors, so if I had to have one long term, I'd probably snag a somewhat banged up parts car the same color since the parts cost can be incredible.

Beware water drainage issues below those rear sail windows. Bertones have some rust issues in a few spots.

no no, he is correct. Bertones are like any other 700 full of ****ty interior plastic, nasty headliners, leaky moonroofs etc. Just now all that **** is rare and expensive ****. Great.
Such said, that is a great color, and the bertone is the one 700 I can look at and not feel sick.
The other good thing is that most bertones come in a few colors, so if I had to have one long term, I'd probably snag a somewhat banged up parts car the same color since the parts cost can be incredible.

Beware water drainage issues below those rear sail windows. Bertones have some rust issues in a few spots.

+1 to drain issues at sail windows. The rust gets bad back there.

Uhhh.... I've owned 4 now. And none of them lost the headliner. One of them leaked in the moon roof. The least cared for didn't leak at all. It is a 91. They're not like a '****ty 700'.

And about the swaybar, I'm pretty sure 91s had a 24mm front sway stock. Or at least pretty sure mine has one.

That looks awesome! Interior looks immaculate, so does the exterior... Where did you find it?

Glad you finally found a coupe... and it fits into the whole 'smurf' theme. :rockon:

Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye on the sunroof and those snail windows.
One quick question. Did the factory radio have a amp in the rear trunk? My rear speakers are not hooked up because the PO add some short of system in there.

That looks awesome! Interior looks immaculate, so does the exterior... Where did you find it?

Glad you finally found a coupe... and it fits into the whole 'smurf' theme. :rockon:

:lol: Thanks, I am off work today so if you want to take a closer look at it let me know.

Adam

Back