• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Intermediate shaft has no gear : (

VolvoEmpire

I was about to put my freshly resealed and cleaned b230ft into my 87 244 when I popped out the freeze plug to reveal that the intermediate shaft has no gearing in it.

Has anyone had any experience swapping these guys out? Is it a lot of trouble. I was going to try to finished with this swap by Thursday evening :-(:-(:-(

Also is there a diagram that I will help me to get the proper dizzy direction at tdc?

I just did one on mine. You'll need one from a 240 obviously. It requires pulling the oil pump drive under pcv breather box. Also the distributor has a hard time going in on a block that never had one. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth and it went in. Set all your timing gears to TDC like when your putting on the timing belt and point the distributor just after where the #1 post on the cap would be. When you slide it in it will turn counter clockwise on the bevel gear to #1.

you wanna come over and rebuild my B230FT when you're done. it's been sitting on my stand for almost 18 months now looking pitiful.

Make sure you use a gasket on the cover that holds the shaft in. Rtv won't work as the gasket gives the shaft thrust bearing enough clearance.

RTV shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a Volvo motor. I've spent at least a couple hours so far scraping and peeling RTV out of various parts of my B230FT. Last week I found it slathered all over and inside the fittings to the oil cooler thermostat housing so the hose was about 80% clogged up, best part is it wasn't even the fittings that were leaking.

Used properly, there's nothing wrong with RTV. If you apply it like you're icing a cake, that's another story.

Used properly, there's nothing wrong with RTV. If you apply it like you're icing a cake, that's another story.

RTV is likely why my Volvo engines don't leak after I have worked on them. As Wren said, it is great stuff when properly used.

Truth be told here. I use RTV and anaerobic sealant sparingly, as a sort of "seasoning" for gaskets or joints that look questionable. It's supposed to be applied as a THIN film.

I just did one on mine. You'll need one from a 240 obviously. It requires pulling the oil pump drive under pcv breather box. Also the distributor has a hard time going in on a block that never had one. I cleaned it up with some emery cloth and it went in. Set all your timing gears to TDC like when your putting on the timing belt and point the distributor just after where the #1 post on the cap would be. When you slide it in it will turn counter clockwise on the bevel gear to #1.

You got it, just help me get this engine into the car.

I use some stuff called Hylomar Blue, and use it very sparingly in a few specific places. Most people use way too much sealant and use it in places that don't need or want it. There *are* a few places on these motors that need sealant, but only a few.

Back