• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71L Feels "laggy" Help!

jvluntzel

Hi All!

Specs:

1991 Volvo 740 base Regina with a 94 940 (edit..maybe 95 960 or smth else...trans has AW71L stamped on it) turbo engine and trans swap. Automatic

ever since the swap my trans has done this odd thing where if I put the pedal to the metal from a stop the engine loads up and the car moves slowly until it gradually gets to around 3000 rpm then she takes off like a bat outta hell.

When doing part throttle it is not as noticeable but it still does it when below 2500-3000 rpm. Shifting is nice a firm, downshifts well. Everything works great except that....and Its really annoying for out of the hole acceleration and whatnot.

HALP

Last edited:
Sounds like a turbo trying to spool to me..

I have a boost gauge and when it is loading up its making positive pressure. Its a 13C. I fart and it spools. :nod:

If you got the trans from a 940 turbo, it will be an aw71. Did you do the accumulator mod?

It says AW71L on it. Maybe it was a 960 turbo? IDK. The car was in a junkyard and said 1995 and there was no boost gauge in the cluster. Wastegate pressure was 5 psi.

Sounds like you could be mechanically mis timed

As in flywheel position? FML if so. It cant be out much if thats the case because in all other situations it runs like a dream. Idles nicely as well.

IDK if its possible for it for the flywheel to be the problem...There are 8 bolts holding the flywheel meaning one off would be 45 degs off! Maybe more possible of distributor position?

Thoughts appreciated :D

No sir I just meant cam/crank timing in relation to each other. I have timed a redblock like 1 tooth off and it idled glass smooth but did what your car was doing. I’d floor it and it would spool but felt like it had 0 power. Mine never really ‘woke up’ though, but was a bit better in the high rpm range.

It would be worth your time checking timing IMO, it is pretty easy to do.

+1 on the cam/crank timing. I put a IPD turbo cam in and misaligned the cam gear 1 tooth forward? I think it was forward one tooth, anyways it had no power. At all. I didn't let it get past 3k because I knew something was off. Idled and started perfect. Ran fine, but no power. Changed the cam timing and it was a whole new car

Back