• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just another B234FT Conversion..

my car wasn't there ;)

the typical german volvo enthusiast hasn't got a good meaning off TB ;)

so to say, i'm a 1%er ;)

But what i can say is: your car wouldnt get t?v here ;)

Yep.. a magnet has fallen into Chamber No1... tried to get it out.. no chance.. head off... argh !!

In this case i had to make a break for a few days to overthink my hobby...

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

Dumbest thing ever happened to me...

Last edited:
Can someone check up the hone on this pics? is it still OK? seems a lot of wear for me on the walls for that small amount of driving..

Also its seems that the valves had contact.. do they can look like this when pistons hit them while cranking by hand ? or is this a hit while running look? Only inlets btw...

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

Last edited:
Oops, those valves will bent....

How did that that happen, did the belt come loose?

The bores look fine to me, you can still see the honing marks.

All Cylinders have these spots on 12 and 6 o'clock as you mentioned but also on 3 and 9 o'clock...

Dont know what this is.. 12and6 looks like pistonslap?

@ the valves: my question was: can the valvepockets on the piston look like this when you turn the motor by hand ?

Cause the motor ran fine while tuning.. no signs of valves beeing hit...

@ Turbosteen.. can you tell me how you do the timing of the cams? Do you have the timing mark on 12oclock to the sealingsurface, or do you use the embedded pin on the valvecover and look from above ? I believe i drove around with 1,5 tooth advanced timing cause i looked from above and used the timing mark.. someone told me the gears should stand 90? to the headsurface

/edit

on this pic its pretty dramatical..

it is no photo effect.. 3and9 oclock
IMG_5496.JPG

Last edited:
But as you can see here... there is still honing left... its not polished...
IMG_5494.JPG

I dont know if this applies also to the 6/12clock marks.. will check that after work...

Sure, if you turned the engine over by hand without the cambelt on then the valves will have hit the pistons. It's an interference engine. You set the pistons, you set the valve gear, bolt the head into place, fit the belt and only then do you turn the crank.

The bores are showing thrust marks, but I can't see any scores. I take it the pistons and rods are correctly handed?

Hi,

Yeah i know that its an inteference engine ;) But the valves wont bend when cranked by hand.. im not sitting there with an impactwrench gutting through the motor.

My question was.. do the marks in the pistons come from turning by hand or are they from hitting while running.. i just cant image that a slightly touch while turning per hand causes such marks... but i hope so.. ;)

Yes, the pistons were handed correctly, 0.8hundrets of play.. 96.3 bore and and 96.22 piston

Last edited:
The cylinders are looking good for me!

About the pistons mark, I'm sure it can't be done by hand! IIRC, Linuxman had the same marks on the top of his pistons (they're slightly touching the head), and you had valve noise issue before you open your engine...

The cylinders are looking good for me!

About the pistons mark, I'm sure it can't be done by hand! IIRC, Linuxman had the same marks on the top of his pistons (they're slightly touching the head), and you had valve noise issue before you open your engine...

Yes i did.. thats the reason i changed Hydraulic lifters... But i turned the motor over dozen of times.. no sign of valves touching the pistons.. and i revved the **** out of the motor. so they should have hit hard... when they hit..

Will post pics of the valves next... and i will check if the valves have leaks with break cleaner...

Hi,

Yeah i know that its an inteference engine ;) But the valves wont bend when cranked by hand..

Like hell they won't; it doesn't take much to tweak a valve. It won't bend like a bannana but tweaking one enough that the seal is imperfect is effortless.

I dont believe you can bend them turning the crank by hand or turing the cams by hand towards the piston.. mh.. we'll see...

@turbosteen.. can you tell me how to align the camgears for tdc? i have no camcover to proof

Uh.. OK...

Did some brakecleaner tests yesterday.. filled the channels with cleaner and watched for leaks.. all the valves with marks (intake) are dry as dust.. so no signs of damage to them.. but minimum 5 exhaust valves are leaking like hell.. they have no signs and were all pretty well lapped in with 3mm sealingsurface

I'm rly frustrated with this **** cause i dont know where this comes from.. they were all sealing well after the valvejob last time..

Will relap them and if they don't seal after that i'm out of ideas...

/edit

some valvepics...

IMG_5514.JPG

[IMGhttp://510187919.swh.strato-hosting.eu/16v/magnet/IMG_5515.JPG[/IMG]

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

Last edited:
Back