• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Upgrading a stock TD04H-13C

Led

Here is the plan I've put together. I'm going to send in my stock TD04H-13C to mjmturbos.com. They are going to rebuild the unit with a new 15G center cartridge for $495.

For the money I will have a rebuilt turbo with a larger compressor. Does this make sence?

Thanks,
Led

***Danger Will Robinson Danger***

The price is pretty reasonable. However for the money I would consider this:

If you put a TD05HL-15G cartridge in a properly machined 13C turbine and compressor housing you will still have a turbo optimized for turbocharged lawnmowers.

The 13C comes with a 6cm2 housing, this is the area at the smallest point in the neckdown of the turbine inlet. They are already extremely restrictive which mated to a 13C wheel, a problem that will be increased by a higher flowing 15G wheel. In other words, you'll be adding intake pressure without relieving exhaust manifold pressure, thereby skyrocketing your EGTs. A 15G comes standard with a 7cm2 housing!

Have you ever seen the turbine housing on your 13C glow? It isn't necessarily overspeeding the turbo that is causing this, it is the instantaneous spool and marked loss to zero top end you're feeling now. I sincerely believe a stock 13C car would benefit hugely from a serious port job, but you need a good starting point.

I'm not TELLING you to buy a turbo from me, but I'm suggesting you do a true 15G and not some hybrid cobbled up BS that's going to cost you more money in the long run, since you'll be replacing it or exhaust valves when you really push the envelope.

PM me, post here, or call me 336-509-8589...I am more than willing to answer any of your questions.

I see where your coming from. Are the turbo's you sell rebuilt? I don't want to do an upgrade and not get a fresh turbo out of the deal?

Honestly I have just enough knowledge about turbo's to be dangerous. I just want a 15 or 16G upgrade that will drop into the car.

And yes, my turbo glows all the time!!! :-D

Thanks,
Led

The whole reason I was thinking about a TD04H-13C to 15G upgrade is that I've seen reference's to TD04 housings with 15G wheels installed. mjmturbos sells a turbo for a Mitsu VR4 thats got a 15G wheel and is based in a TD04 housing.

Later,
Led

Rebuilt isn't an issue if that's what you want, but I warranty all my turbos when I sell them, warranty depending on mileage.

Of course if you want to do a brand spankin new turbo I've got a killer Big16G/ 3" Downpipe and O2 Housing /Installation kit I'm working on for less than $1000

Or you can get a converted 19T brand new for about $1100 including 3" downpipe

Or you can get a rebuilt, full 15G, fully mod'd for around $700

I think the whole idea is that he wants something that will fully bolt on, a T3/T4 won't satisfy that requirement; seeing as how he has a 13C on his car, the oil/water lines won't match up, neither will his downpipe. However that is a very viable choice, and would make for an entertaining ride.

I know the 90+ manafold has a lump in it and would need grinding flat, whats the problem with the oil/water lines?? got any comparison pics?

Griz

Twiggilicious said:
Are you trying to argue with him??? :roll:

Nope, just asking thats all. One day when money alows, I will be ripping that small 13C out and looking for something else (and yes fuel system, head and suspention mods will be first) just wanting some info on options, whats the 15G and 19T good for, the T4/T3's are a lot cheaper if they can be made to fit.

Griz

The oil/water lines are different, no pics, sorry.

Keep in mind T3/T4 is such a general term, that's like saying TD05... in the grand scheme of things it means nothing about actual performance. There are sooo many flavors of T3/T4 that I couldn't even begin to list them, from 200hp to 1000hp I'm sure.

Buzzword Alert!

However, yes a T3 flanged turbo will mate up and seal to the collector on the 90+ manifold with modification. T3/T4 also necessitates CBV/BOV installation, due to the lack of the integral one. I will try one out someday, but not today :-D

1)yes, a hybrid will bolt up to either of the mitsu manifolds with minimal modification.

2)the integrated cbvs and such become unreliable, undersized, leaky bitches at the kind of boost pressures one would be running to even necessitate an upgrade to begin with anyways.

3)With respect to oil lines, you can just get some stock oil lines from a 240t from a wrecker for next to nothing. It's just a T3 center cartridge afterall.

Turbobrick 940 has a great service for people wanting a bolt-on upgrade and a lot of people are faster for it, we get along way better than we used to and I respect him, so this is no disrespect on him, just trying to keep things a little balanced.

My only experience personally is that my 60trim T3 was a far nicer turbo than my 12b. :e-shrug: TD04 is probably a different animal though...

CaptainBondo said:
the integrated cbvs and such become unreliable, undersized, leaky bitches at the kind of boost pressures one would be running to even necessitate an upgrade to begin with anyways.
The 15Gs CBV has proven to be pretty useful in the grand scheme of things, with preloading of the CBV spring. However for maximum effort, it is absolutely inadequate.

[quote:1ed5890251]just trying to keep things a little balanced. [/quote:1ed5890251]
I expect nothing less from you Kenny, glad to have you back!

[quote:1ed5890251]My only experience personally is that my 60trim T3 was a far nicer turbo than my 12b. :e-shrug: TD04 is probably a different animal though...[/quote:1ed5890251]
Robin had a 12B car, a 13C car, and now a 15G car... Performance was also in that order, respectively. I AM NOT HATING on T3/T4s... I will have one, someday, I'm sure.

I've been doing some more reading and I understand what you were talking about. If I use a 15G wheel in my stock 13C the 6cm2 exhaust housing won't flow enough. In other words the turbo would be in danger of surging.

I noticed your 15G you have for sale in your sig line is a TD04HL with a 15G wheel. What is the size of the turbine housing on this unit. Was it origionally 6cm2? Did you have it ported?

Is there a turbine housing that will bolt up to a Volvo manifold that's large enough in stock form to support a 15G or 16G wheel?

DATA, I NEED DATA!!! :-)

Thanks,
Led

TD04HL-15G-7 is the code on the turbo, for 7cm2 turbine housing...it is also heavily ported, as I encourage most of my customers to go for.

Eric, when you port the 6cm does it come close to the 7cm, or?

I ask because, as you know I am going with a BIG mitsu compressor on one of my projects and would hate to choke it on the turbine side.

need info on TDO4-15G from 850 T5 to fit in my B230FT 740 turbo with TDO4-13C...what mods are require to fit this 15G to stock B230FT manifold?is it any pictures showing this modification to fit in b230ft manifold? my 13C already leaking...oil surrounded the compressor and also CBV...need to change the 13c and my option is 15G...really need help from this forum members :)

need info on TDO4-15G from 850 T5 to fit in my B230FT 740 turbo with TDO4-13C...what mods are require to fit this 15G to stock B230FT manifold?is it any pictures showing this modification to fit in b230ft manifold? my 13C already leaking...oil surrounded the compressor and also CBV...need to change the 13c and my option is 15G...really need help from this forum members :)

There's a lot of articles on it, Very Very common swap. Way to bring it back from the dead:rofl: So far I've read that you have to make the wastegate bracket from an ac comp bracket. But you just gotta search around.

Back