• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to buy larger valves

LeedomtoFreedom

This is for a 530 head, trying to get larger valves for my machinist to put in.

Been blowing dust off old threads and found KLracing to be a good source, I was just curious what else is out there.

Also not sure what valve sizes I'll use, probably the maximum it'll fit without issues.

Also a lot of aftermarket valves are stainless steel, where the stock valves are sodium filled. Is this going to be an issue with b0ost?

Also do you machine the valve seats present in the head, or do you have to replace with larger seats depending on the size of the valve. I'm not 100% on the process of installing larger valves but is there enough meat on the stock seats to be machined for larger valves or is that not how it works.

Best to get new seats installed to match and work with the valves. I just had a set of valves and springs from the GB installed on a head for my 740 and just got the head back from the machine shop last week. I would recommend you wait for the next GB and get in on that as the machinist commented on how well everything fit together.

Good intel Mike, heard the same from a handful of people, including my machinist that used some previously available stuff.

I can't vouch for the KL stuff, but I have had issues with stainless exhaust valves that were not made correctly by one of the bigger names in the past, which is why I started doing the group buys from REV. A QUALITY stainless is fine for intake and exhaust unless you plan to push it really hard, then you may need to step up to Inconel or sodium filled. Inconel isn't spendy like custom sodium filled will be.

The stainless from planetman would be a good start, or if you want to wait for the next GB, probably late spring next year (I do these based on demand so I can at least meet the minimum to get a better price), then you can jump in on there as well. Price for a set thru the latest GB was $352 delivered to your door for stainless 46mm intakes, Inconel 38mm exhaust.

As Mike mentioned as well, if you're going larger valves, do the job right and install larger seats. Shouldn't cost more than maybe $100 for parts and labor, but it allows you to get the most from the larger valves.

I'm still deciding on my plans for this car. I'm talking to someone on the board about 16v which would defeat the need for larger valves. Thinking I might bite the bullet but not entirely sure.

I did talk to my machinist who said he could help with the valves, but one of my drag buddies said the 16v might be a better investment, or just put a new headgasket and slap it together again.

Back