• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R-sport steering wheel questions

carmanic

Hi all, I have a couple of questions about an R-sport wheel I'm restoring ~ couldn't find info anywhere else so hopefully this is the right place to ask.

1. Approximately what year was it made ?
2. What are the red circled two holes for ?
3. Availability of a short, non collapsible hub ? This is going in a P1800 so cabin space is at a premium.

Thanks in advance ~
Daren

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNzCjZJ5yHIDK7t4659gw_sOP5fiX9zuHZyXUUf

The R sport wheels I have seen for the later cars like a 240 have been made by Momo for Volvo. Earlier cars the wheels may be some other brand. I know Moto Lita had a wide range of adapter hubs for their aftermarket steering wheels. I bought a wheel for a 122S from a US distributor of moto lita.

Not sure if it is helpful, but on my 740 adapter hub I cut about 30 mm out of the collapsible hub adapter and welded it back together to get more room between me and the wheel, any more and my fingers would be hitting the stalks

"extra" holes in my R-sport steering wheel

Since my previous post I paused from the R-sport steering wheel project, but just picked it back up and am still trying to figure out what the "extra" holes on the horizontal spokes were used for ? Two total, .200" dia., countersunk from the back side and appear to be factory rather than a PO mod so if anyone knows for sure I'd be most appreciative. FYI the wheel is a momo made in March, 1979. Hopefully the pic link works this time & thx in advance.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83015110@N07/23625376888/in/dateposted-ff/

I had an R-Sport wheel very similar to yours decades ago. It came with a 'padded center' that went around the horn button and attached via the shape of the pad to steering wheel spokes with tits that mated up with those holes. No surprise that they die in sunlight.

:nod:

Should look like this.

1.JPG

FYI, 552032 was originally made for 120 series cars.

Thanks to all for confirming what the "extra" holes were for, and especially via the pictures. Doubt I'd use a padded center even if I could find one but at least now I know. Thx again ~

Back