• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to get carpet dye?

Wolfman

I want to spruce up my black carpets with some carpet dye. I removed them to clean them and figure that I might as well dye them why I have the out. Have you guys tried the carpet dye in the spray cans? If so, how is it and where can I get some? In addition, is this type of dye as good as the liquid kind? Where can I get some liquid carpet dye? If you have any suggestions regarding how to dye carpets please include them!

i dyed the carpets in my ES with Rit dye, available at "hobby" stores (like Michaels and Hobby Lobby) or at fabric stores. you'll have to check your machismo at the door. the dye was in a powdered form that i dilluted per the instructions in a windex-like bottle. after cleaning the carpets at the car wash, i sprayed on the dye. it was pretty easy. it's lasted about 5 years now without fading (i keep the car covered a lot, tho')

good luck,

I did my front carpets so far. The dye really works very well. I thought that most of the black would wash out when I removed the excess dye. Although it stayed very black. I'm very impressed. It only cost like 2 bucks a box. I don't know if this stuff would work to convert one extreme color to another, although to spruce up black, it works great. :)

Update: I tried the Rit dye on some really stained tan floor mats that I had in my trunk for some time. After washing them, I dyed them black. Tip: make sure the carpet or whatever you are dying is dry between applications because the material sucks up the dye better. After the first application, the color was not right. The mats had a kind of red tent to them and I could still make out the tan color a little. Although after a second application, with a little more concentrated mixture, the color came out great.

Back