• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

pics and thoughts- 240 + virgos + spacers

cmunkee

Any one have pics of virgos w/ spacers on a 240. I want mine to be close too flush so thinking 20mm up front and 25mm rear.

I have a pair of 20mm spacers on the rear wheels with Virgo wheels.
Before spacers:
sp1.jpg

After spacers:
08indianisland.jpg

For the amount of money and effort involved I can hardly tell I did it. I've parked right next to another stock 240 turbo at car shows and the difference isn't noticeable.

I'd go the probably easier and cheaper route of buying wheels that are a little wider.
09BBS2.jpg

The track difference between the front and back of the 240 series are 70mm, so 35mm either side at the rear, so if you thinking of making the virgos sit flush with the body , you will be looking at 55mm rear spacers if you use 20mm fronts. The other option is wider wheels. The other option is staggered wheels that are an inch wider at the back , so 20mm fronts and 30mm at the rear.

The track difference between the front and back of the 240 series are 70mm, so 35mm either side at the rear, so if you thinking of making the virgos sit flush with the body , you will be looking at 55mm rear spacers if you use 20mm fronts. The other option is wider wheels. The other option is staggered wheels that are an inch wider at the back , so 20mm fronts and 30mm at the rear.

Or I need to finish an 8.8 rear end or look at fitting a 940 axle under there.

I've only asked this question about 20x with no responses....nice to see a before/after rear spacer shot....such a sharp car too. I do see a (albeit) subtle difference....but that's the best kind. Did you have any issues with clearance (like having to roll the lip)?

I'm going to be running 15x7's and was thinking of going the full 35mm in the backs....might have to be a tad less since the rims are 7" wide......got awhile before Spring to think on it. Would be nice to see something spaced even more (with the fronts done too).

I'd never do 2 different width wheels for rotation reasons. Had 245's on the front and 255's on the back of a Monte Carlo SS I had years ago. Looked the shtz but was expensive in the long haul.

I've only asked this question about 20x with no responses....nice to see a before/after rear spacer shot....such a sharp car too. I do see a (albeit) subtle difference....but that's the best kind. Did you have any issues with clearance (like having to roll the lip)?

I'm going to be running 15x7's and was thinking of going the full 35mm in the backs....might have to be a tad less since the rims are 7" wide......got awhile before Spring to think on it. Would be nice to see something spaced even more (with the fronts done too).

I'd never do 2 different width wheels for rotation reasons. Had 245's on the front and 255's on the back of a Monte Carlo SS I had years ago. Looked the shtz but was expensive in the long haul.

My 240 had some rubbing with virgo+195/65 air ride tires+23 mm spacers.

main.php

(mediocre pic, car wearing its sleeper dirt marks)
The 2x 23mm is quite visible imho, looks better.

Volvo has a document that describes how to cut the rear wheel arch lip to clear the wheels when the r-sport spacer kit is fitted. Next year i am going to do that. There is some rust down there that i can remove as well then.

Did you have any issues with clearance (like having to roll the lip)?

My 240 had some rubbing with virgo+195/65 air ride tires+23 mm spacers.
Volvo has a document that describes how to cut the rear wheel arch lip to clear the wheels when the r-sport spacer kit is fitted.

Yes, as JW mentioneds I cut 10mm from the back side of the fender lip per the Volvo kit instructions. I've had no issues with 10mm cut and 15x6 Virgo with stock 195/60-15 tires. I have also fit 16x7et 23 BBS RA with I think 205 series tires with the spacers still on, but the tire is very very close to the lip and I'll feel safer when I cut or roll it some more.

Excellent info...thanks. Is this R-Sport document posted anywhere?

btw....is there anyplace that does fender rolling? I've seen a very pro looking tool that does this (bolts to the hub) but no idea where to find one...or better yet - someone who does it.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to trim the wheel arch lip, even those with no wheel rubbing issues. The major rust spot for 240s seems to be the bottom of the wheel arch anyway due to dirt getting stuck on the lip. When this happens it retains moisture that causes the rust. I will be trimming mine as well when i put my BBSs on.

Excellent info...thanks. Is this R-Sport document posted anywhere?

btw....is there anyplace that does fender rolling? I've seen a very pro looking tool that does this (bolts to the hub) but no idea where to find one...or better yet - someone who does it.

The tool is available from Tirerack. I think it's about $225. A little spendy unless a few people were going in on it. Tape, a cut off wheel to remove the 10mm as not to get into the spot welds then a heat gun (to keep the paint flexible and prevent cracking) and a good sized mallet did the trick for me to fit 255/35 18s in the back w/o rubbing. Now I just want the same look with Virgos and my snow tires. 25mm spacers it is.

So long as they're torqued properly yes. And they have to leave enough tread on the stud so either pushing in new ones or adapter style. Wheels falling off is so not fun.

The only downside I can see, really, is by putting the weight of the wheel further from the hub, you can wear through wheel bearings / axle bearings faster, but it's not like you're going to wreck your **** right away or even any time soon. If you're really paranoid about it, you could replace your wheelbearings/axle bearings prior to running spacers, but you just shouldn't worry about it too much since you'll probably never actually get to the point where they'll fail.

tl;dr:
yeah, spacers are safe.

Back