• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

me59OLL.jpg

434jVXN.jpg

VSb2Xwk.jpg

EYWFYJp.jpg

SUPER CAMBER
4Ql0ma2.jpg

Yeah I've been DD'ing it since I got it back together. I'm at around 500 miles on the new engine. My only complaint is that I originally used a 190* thermostat which left my temp needle about 3/4 of the way up. I switched to a 159* thermostat and now it runs a little too cool. It performed better when it ran warmer but I'm afraid to let it run that warm once it starts hitting 100* here this summer. I'll probably try to swap it out soon for something between the two temps.

Yeah I've been DD'ing it since I got it back together. I'm at around 500 miles on the new engine. My only complaint is that I originally used a 190* thermostat which left my temp needle about 3/4 of the way up. I switched to a 159* thermostat and now it runs a little too cool. It performed better when it ran warmer but I'm afraid to let it run that warm once it starts hitting 100* here this summer. I'll probably try to swap it out soon for something between the two temps.

Good to hear. Can you get a 180 or 185* for it?

I need to look. I'm sure I had something like that in the old motor.

Actually yes, I just looked at Swedish Treasures and they have a 180* (81C) thermostat. What I have now is 158*(70C).

Pretty sure my old man ran a 180 or 185 in all of the pushrod motors he built. That was in southwest VA so similar climate

Maybe the 190* just needed to break in but there were times it would peg the gauge and I'm not cool with that. I'll try a 180* and see how it goes. It's too cool to be performing at it's best as-is. I do know that.

Maybe the 190* just needed to break in but there were times it would peg the gauge and I'm not cool with that. I'll try a 180* and see how it goes. It's too cool to be performing at it's best as-is. I do know that.

B18/B20s can be notorious for air trapped in the head after having drained the coolant system and refilled.

. Fill coolant system with the engine block drain cracked open to let some of the air escape.

Also use a T stat with the "piddle valve" in it. (like a B21-B230 t stat has). Some drill a small 1/8" hole in proper place on the t stat .

Also how is your radiator's condition? 1967 model old? newly replaced or at least cleaned out?

Also how is your radiator's condition? 1967 model old? newly replaced or at least cleaned out?

I had it boiled when I got the car three years ago. It's been flushed several times since then. The car runs cooler than it should so I'm not worried about the competence of any of my cooling system parts.

I had it boiled when I got the car three years ago. It's been flushed several times since then. The car runs cooler than it should so I'm not worried about the competence of any of my cooling system parts.

DId you bleed the air out of the coolant system as you poured in the coolant as described in my post above? You might have air trapped in the head. Common deal on B20s when draining/refilling with coolant.

I don't even know what or where SE is. Is that the one in Alabama? Man that's a long drive but I do need to make up for missing Carlisle :ninja:

How far is that for you?

Looks so good rolling too! I spotted your car on ig #volvo122

Pretty sure my car was this color originally

Yeah my girlfriend does the Instagram thing. Sometimes I find pictures I didn't know she took :-P

I tried to fit some new 5" diameter 350lb. springs yesterday...

IYxhn7p.jpg

but they were too soft and didn't work out...

D4CFn6P.jpg

Threw these on just for laughs. They're 16"s so a little smaller than what I want but it did make me realize how good some RS or any old school BBS would look on the car. The offset is too high also. If they were around 0-10 I'd consider putting tires on them.

d5TJBKn.jpg

Back