• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

Seems like a sticky pilot bearing. Does it grind gears when you want to engage reverse from neutral?

Seems like a sticky pilot bearing. Does it grind gears when you want to engage reverse from neutral?

Haven't noticed any grinding at all. This is in neutral, clutch engaged. I didn't check to see if it stopped spinning if I stepped on the clutch.

Haven't noticed any grinding at all. This is in neutral, clutch engaged. I didn't check to see if it stopped spinning if I stepped on the clutch.

Oh damn, my mistake... Then its just the gearbox itself. Our family fwd astra can move itself just a bit forward in neutral when its cold. If it gets hot it does not do it.

You can but you have to unbolt the flex line anchoring bracket, and the steering drag link to get enough slack.

Edit:

Oh and the sway bar obviously.

Last edited:
You can but you have to unbolt the flex line anchoring bracket, and the steering drag link to get enough slack.

Edit:

Oh and the sway bar obviously.

Already undid those. Looks like I'll be taking the lines off, ordered some new ones because I might as well.

I only managed to get one line off but it seems that's all I needed. Got the driver's side spring off, which only took about 2 days to do. Ugh.

IMG_20170220_131907.jpg

IMG_20170220_154502.jpg

She's roadworthy again. Swapped front springs with the 86. Steering still tries to "stick" in the center. Biggest issue now is no heat. Blower doesn't turn on and I'm pretty sure it's still stuck on recirc.

Not that. I made sure the plug on the back of the fan switch was on all the way too. Obviously something I did because it worked fine before I took the dash apart.

corroded fuses could be causing your stuff... especially where you are. and dont use the aluminum ones

just trying to save you time... nothing like digging for a problem then spinning the fuse and instafix

corroded fuses could be causing your stuff... especially where you are. and dont use the aluminum ones

just trying to save you time... nothing like digging for a problem then spinning the fuse and instafix

I know, I'm already familiar with the issues aluminum fuses cause.

I'm also having an issue with the engine cutting. Mostly at low and high revs. Just falls flat on its face for a split second like the ignition is cutting.

So turns out one of the pins to the connector on the fan switch came off. Easy fix. Looked into the recirc issue some more. Switch works fine, but I can suck on the vac line constantly. I'm guessing it came off or there's a hole or something. How hard is it to get to wherever the vac line goes? Looks pretty deep inside the dash..

So since I fixed the blower my speedo stopped working. One day I'll manage to fix something without breaking something else. Followed the recirc vac line and it just disappears behind the blower housing thing. I'm thinking I'll go to a dyno day on Mar 5th but I wanna figure out why the car is breaking up at high RPMs before I do. I did some WOT pulls on the highway earlier. It pulls fine up until about 5-6k when it starts to break up a little. Cruises fine though, except for the vac leak causing it to almost die at times when idling.

It bucks super hard if I give it any gas when turning at low parking lot speeds. Really annoying.

FLZv_BDr.jpg

Back