• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt woes

free244dl

I have just finished installing all the hardware and making an engine harness for microsquirt. It boots up, I have loaded firmware, and all I have figured out how to do is calibrate the TPS and CTS. It is currently not reading anything from the CAS. I know for a fact that the hall sensor is good (it switches properly), and I even tried hooking it up to a spare distributor I had lying around to no avail. I am using a 10k pull-up resistor.

my specs:
'78 244 b21f+t
lh 2.2 distributor
brand new battery
microsquirt v3.0

The documentary is contradictory on which wire to use. The hardware manual says to wire the signal to VR- but another part of the manual describes the vr in as being for an analog signal, and to use OPTO- for a hall sensor. Which do I use? I wires it solid to VR when I made the harness and got no signal. I snipped the wire and used a jumper to connect it to OPTO and it made no difference.

It is possible that I have the wrong settings in tunerstudio. What are the ignition settings for the speed sensor I should be using? I will try to figure out how to post a log file when I get home.

1k pullup for a hall input. not 10k
normally on the micro you wire it into vr1 and vr2 (or whatever). I think the opto in on the microsquirt is more for neg coil implementations.

still 1k. if it's a dsm cas, it'll only throw out 5v even with a 12v feed (I think...)

I didn't find the documentation clear on how to hook up the hall sensor. You only use one of the twisted pair on VR + I believe and the ground from the Hall has to go to the MS sensor ground wire. After reading this , it looks like you use vr+ and vr- with the hall but I'm pretty sure mine is wired Hall signal to vr+, the 1k resistor pullup and the ground to the sensor ground.
http://www.microsquirt.info/uswiring.htm

If you wire up everything per instructions and its not correct, you'll still show a signal in the composite logger, it will just show the cam and crank signals swapped from where they are supposed to be.

If you're getting no signal whatsoever in the composite logger then check your settings. I don't have my tuning laptop with me or I would give you my settings, but there are plenty of examples floating around here.

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't read everything. Can't speak on the dizzy, thought you were using a mitsu CAS

so if it's an lh 2.2 distro, it's going to simply be trigger return single coil. vr1 input, 1k pullup, profit

err not trigger return, wtf. distributor mode, non trigger wheel. Crossed my signals up that time lol

The documentary is contradictory on which wire to use. The hardware manual says to wire the signal to VR- but another part of the manual describes the vr in as being for an analog signal, and to use OPTO- for a hall sensor. Which do I use? I wires it solid to VR when I made the harness and got no signal. I snipped the wire and used a jumper to connect it to OPTO and it made no difference.

Opto+/- are the inputs for coil-negative triggering on a fuel only install, do not use them if you are controlling
ignition.
VR+/- are the inputs from the crank sensor (VR, Hall, Opto, etc.)
VR2+/- are the inputs from the cam sensor (VR, Hall, Opto, etc.)

From the manual I posted.

VR+/- are the inputs from the crank sensor (VR, Hall, Opto, etc.)

Alright. I think the one I saw that was contradicting applied to older versions of microsquirt. Ill reattach it to vr- tonight.

I still suspect that the problem is a missed or incorrect setting in tunerstudio though, because my multimeter easily reads a voltage signal off the circuit with the 10k. More info to come.

Forgot to mention earlier, I am using +spark to control a golf mk3 coil.

Alright. I think the one I saw that was contradicting applied to older versions of microsquirt. Ill reattach it to vr- tonight.

I still suspect that the problem is a missed or incorrect setting in tunerstudio though, because my multimeter easily reads a voltage signal off the circuit with the 10k. More info to come.

Forgot to mention earlier, I am using +spark to control a golf mk3 coil.

I think that should be IGN A and the same setting in TS

Edit: I forgot I can check my settings in MSDroid.

Trigger return
Trigger angle. 53.4
Falling edge
Going high
Single coil
IGN A
Cam input - cam input

This is on a block mount lh2.2 dizzy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I changed the settings in tunerstudio and replaced the 10K with a 1K resistor and it had no effect unfortunately. I pulled the vr- pin out of the ampseal connector and tested for signal directly on the pin while cranking and it stayed signal high, it did not switch on/off like it did previously at the splice I made to the hall sensor connector. At that point I had to leave the project, I will continue my diag and keep you updated.

Last night I reattached the hall signal wire back to the VR1(-). Long story short I modified the grounding scheme and it dramatically improved the signal strength. I now get strong, distinct pulses at the ampseal connector with the microsquirt box plugged in.

There is still no signal being read in tunerstudio though. The data log shows nothing for RPM, it reads "not cranking" in TS, and the signal is still good into the microsquirt box. I am lost as to what to do. Would uploading screencaps help?

I bought it from DIYautotune. I thought it would be something stupid like a setting I missed, but I will go post on msextra.

I wasn't sure what to screencap. I will post a few when I get home from class.

Last edited:
I am using the 8' pre-assembled harness that has shielded VR wires. I am using a high-impedance LED test light to watch the signal from the hall sensor on a backprobe in the ampseal connector. It flashes as I crank, indicating a voltage signal.

Back