• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 RWD converted Mazda mini-truck

ImActuallyInsane

So, bearing in mind that I am 16 years old, and have limited knowledge on Volvo motors, is this possible? I've got my eye on a T5 motor out of a written off 850 wagon, as I love the sound and power of 5-pots. I think it could be the very motor I am looking for to turn my 800kg mini truck into a crazy track weapon. The truck is already RWD, and I would not be willing to sacrifice that. If this is not something yous would advise then I'll stick to my original plans of a 13b.

Cheers guys, hoping you can help out.

Do you know how to weld?

T5 motor with 960 pan cut and welded back together.
Mueller ford t5 trans adapter or use 960 auto trans.
Figure out an engine management to use and you’re set.

As long as you can do the work I don’t see what the problem will be.

Check out the article by the buchka’s on the white block conversions.

I can weld and any chassis work is not a problem as I can easily modify the space frame design the cab from the truck will be sitting on. My biggest setback at this point is that I have no idea what engine/trans configuration I should go with and the process I would have to go through to get the power to a rear diff. I just cant get my head around how a transverse setup would work with RWD. I can make some sense of what you are saying with the 960 pan and trans but would very much like to stay manual. Cheers for the help mate.

Am I right in thinking that I'm over-complicating things in my head and it would be more sensible simple to re-mount the T5 longitudinally? I have no knowledge of these motors whatsoever, so if I'm saying something stupid please correct me before I do something stupid haha :lol:.

Am I right in thinking that I'm over-complicating things in my head and it would be more sensible simple to re-mount the T5 longitudinally? I have no knowledge of these motors whatsoever, so if I'm saying something stupid please correct me before I do something stupid haha :lol:.

That's what 740atl was referring to, you need to modify a 6 cyl oil pan to mount they engine longitudinally, Borg Warner T5 is a transmission found in mustangs and Camaros and a few other vehicles, the Ford's are the easiest to adapt. Use Google to search Turbobricks for engine swap threads.

I can weld and any chassis work is not a problem as I can easily modify the space frame design the cab from the truck will be sitting on. My biggest setback at this point is that I have no idea what engine/trans configuration I should go with and the process I would have to go through to get the power to a rear diff. I just cant get my head around how a transverse setup would work with RWD. I can make some sense of what you are saying with the 960 pan and trans but would very much like to stay manual. Cheers for the help mate.

The whiteblock motors share a lot of dimensions in common. The b6304 oil pan bolts in the t6 block so you could take a t6 motor from the jy and drop it in a 960. There are pictures of the oil pan mod in the whiteblock mod thread.

Are you planning to use a manual or auto?

You're overthinking it. The Whiteblocks are mostly fwd, except for the Volvo 960 and S90 from 92 to 98. Those cars are rwd.

The cool thing about the whiteblock is that its modular. The main difference between the 5 cylinder fwd and the 6 cylinder rwd is just one cylinder.

So you can take the oilpan from a 960 and chop one cylinder out of it, weld it back together, and put it on the 5. That gives you the clearance under the motor to mount it in a rwd application. From there it takes a few parts to adapt it to a mustang T5 transmission, or you can re use the auto trans from the 960. THen a custom driveshaft into your rear end.

mazda pickup swap.

Hello from Chicago!!!, Now I am a rotary fan from birth. 13 b's have a lot of torque and I gotta suggest to go for the rotary. The Volvo set up would be nice but it will require a lot of modifications and expertise that might just be too complicated for you. Don't get me wrong , volvo's are great. I am just trying to save you some headache. 13 b's fit well anywhere and I would have loved to get me one to put it on my 240 wagon. I am working with a 7mgte and as a matter of fact today I got a stainless fuel line to replace the vinyl one I have.
Now it will be just your choice. This is my point of view because I had a 12a on a 82 celica body and it moved
Good luck kiddo and kuddos to you in your automotive endevour!!!
DZ:-P

Cheers for all the advice guys, but unfortunately T5 trannies here in NZ are few and far between, costing around $6500 NZD or $4600 USD. I earn very little from my part time job so obviously this is not really a valid option for me. There is no way I will be going automatic, so is there anything wrong with me going with an M90 transmission? Also, regarding the 960 pan, why is this a modification that I must make in all scenarios? I thought it may be something to do with clearing the suspension crossmember but I can modify that in regards to the tube frame no problem. (Sorry im so clueless on the subject of transverse and FWD, I spend most of my time working on jappas like R32s and S14's.)

M90s are great, they are just very rare in the US (where this board is generally focussed). Whereas T5s are easily found. Just be aware that the M90 has an integral bellhousing, so you'll need one from behind a whiteblock motor not a redblock motor (6cyl not a 4cyl).

And yes, do lots of googling and reading of build threads. There a ton of info out there, and the project should be doable, but will take time and planning if you don't have a big budget.

If you're 16 this may be a little over your head. I would try something simpler but also if you're in new Zealand what drive trains you have available easily will be different from a lot of others on here. I would start off with something simpler, cheaper, and easier.

Back