• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

244, Holset, and 30psi.

No, have you looked into the theory for tight squish? It affects all motors and is about reducing the chance of error, having a clearance of under .40' forces more of the flame front into the head and you can run more compression and boost. In a nutshell. It's common to do with v8s and every race motor done professionally also.

Because plenty of people on here actually like to optimise thier engine as much as possible so they only need to turn the boost up to make more power, not compensate for a bad engine build.

The fact you are spent years to put a rotary into a Mazda mx5 says you're not exactly that great as they fall in and are pretty common. So while people who run too much boost on stock computers may worry about squish and detonation, everyone else who uses megasquirt or far more expensive ecus also worry about those factors as they are always real.

Never said "i am great" or whatever but you are being a dick for no reason.
I didn't say TB'ers are stupid. I said that you guys started tuning these engine way before programmable ECU's allowed us to safely run crazy turbo setups. and to me that made some people paranoid with detonation (and they were right to be !).

It took me two years with the miata because the engine is heavily modified to sustain 10k rpm all day long and that includes drilling big ass intake holes right into the rotor housings.
But what do i know ?

I am aware about the squish theory. To each his own but i am not looking for the last extra HP. And detonation wise, i repeat : E85 is very very forgiving.

Now, as i am not sold on what agressive cam i will put in down the road, flattening the head will be enough for now.

Thanks for your input anyway.

The thing is, you're talking 15 years ago when "advanced" computers were less common. Squish theory has been around longer, but didn't become relevant until people started using megasquirt etc.

Bridge ported 13b? Once again, not realy a big deal, Australia has some of the fastest rotaries that go down the quarter. There are companies here that do the work for the fastest guys too.

Yes e85 is forgiving, but the thing is apart! Not hard to dummy measure it and check it can be close with a little bit more machining. But it's your engine that won't be built to best practices...

Also, if you set your timing wrong you won't hear it knock with e85. Maybe not that forgiving? http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5521134&postcount=610

Last edited:
Hi guys,

A bit of work has been done to the car.

Engine was stripped cleaned and painted.
Head is almost finished with double valve springs, aluminium retainers and a copy of a K cam from KG trimning.

Head and block were decked to unsure an even pressure on the head gaskets.

Bottom end got assembled with the H beam rods and new bearings.

I also machined freeze plug retainers.

Thanks guys !
Mee too, can't wait.
The engine is being closed this week. Then i will tackle the M90 3rd gear ring job.
Then into the car.

On another note, my holset is so rusted i think i will buy a genuine new one.

By the way, has anyone had results in doing a twin scroll mani out of a oem manifold 4 to 2 to turbo ?

Last edited:
this post brought to you by the letter J

I don't doubt it at all, but I'm also a wuss and tend to succumb to lethargy at the worst of times. Your new avatar threw me for a loop, I thought I messed up when I clicked into the old thread lol.

first pic is an 8v , 2nd pic is 16v view of what linuxman51 did in the earlier days of his 16v 940 "heeb" wagon (turbo is an Evo/MHI 16G6 hence the weird inlet pattern) - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5051511#post5051511

RoadRacer4Life doing the same but with an 8v NA Manifold - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=3323375#post3323375

740atl w/ a 16v head/mani - http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3582724#post3582724

I'm trying to tackle a manifold issue myself, I'll probably end up going the "J Pipe" route in the end of all this...

anyway, gonna go listen to some french black metal, cheers ;-)

Last edited:
Cheers for all these infos mate !!
That is great news. Great fabwork and simplicity.

I feared that the extra length would decrease the twinscroll pulse effect but when i see the practicality of the setup, it's worth a try.

Will keep posted guys.

Hi all,

My HX35 was rusty as hell. So i bit the bullet and bought a brand new HY35 hybrid with a 10cm2 exhaust housing for fast spool, but still capable of handling 550hp.

I also went with the ebay upside-down manifold that will get rewelded at the flange and brace to support the weight of the turbo.

Me likey mucho :-P:-P

They never had good access to the spark plugs. Yours is oriented correctly you just need to trim some of the meat in the flange between the ports. Bracing is 100% a must.
You ever put a exhaust gasket on backwards? Doesn't line up with the ports. Same thing is happening with his flange being on backwards. You can't just cut the extra material off of the flange. It needs to be flipped and oriented properly.

Hi guys,

A bit of progress.

Engine block is done and in the car.
M90 has been modded on 3rd gear, and in the car, along with a 850R clutch kit.
Hydraulic clutch conversion is done and man what a pain it was.
Big ass ebay intercooler is bought, and will go in front of the radiator, which is staying in stock location + visco for now. If you want to have a laugh, go to WANTED sub forum and look for my post, looking for a 240 TIC shroud + bracket. I will end up with an electric water pump and electric fan. Much better for keeping temps low when sideways.

MS3x ECU bought.
Injectors dynamics 1000cc's are on the manifold.
Turbosmart Comp40 wastegate is on it's way.
Ebay turbo manifold has been rewelded the right way.
Turbo feed and return lines are done (AN4 and AN12).

Next up : making the exhaust. Basically 3in all the way with a big magnaflow under the boot. Screamer pipe on the side.

Chinese government won't let me access to my google photos account so i will upload them in a few days when i am back to my red wine and smelly cheese country.

Peace.

Nice project man. Too bad you didn't get to break egos this summer but still it looks promising and cant waiit to see it finished.
What are the rest of the plans for the car, exterior wise?

Thanks man.
Yeah well, work is taking the best part of my weeks, and i moved house this summer with the gf so the volvo had to wait a bit. I trashed the miata on the track instead, was good fun !

Rest of the plans are cut springs, ipd 25mm sway bars front and rear, and upgraded brake pads.

Exterior wise, i don't know to be honest. I wanted to go low, overfenders and big offset wheels, but i guess i am getting to old and mostly, i haven't got enough time to do the research on offsets and clearance etc like i used to.

Frankly i just wanna throw the thing sideways, be reliable, and hear all the good boost noises.

Coming from an obnoxious japanese car, i really want the sleeper look now.

So i guess, lowered and maybe widened OEM steelies will do, unless i find a great deal on here for the right sizes. Paint job is ****ty and will stay that way lol.

Back