• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 1996 960 fuel level Fun Times!

eeaves42

Anyone one have any experience with 1996 960 fuel level sensor failures? I have a great working fuel level gauge however the sender is completely wrong. I can't get a new one anywhere.... ipd, FCP, Volvo dealer, Worldpac. No body sells new units. Has anyone try to repair theirs?

old unit shows 3/8 at all times, then replaced with used level senders from the yard.... one show empty with low gas light on and the other shows 1/4 full. Tank was full at the time.

Its part of the fuel pump assembly, right?

Mine has been bad ever since I replaced the fuel pump. The float probably is bound up in there. I think thats what is wrong with mine.

You may have knocked the tube loose from the upper half of the sending unit installing it. I see it often with the 7/9 sending units. They are so hard to install through that ridiculous opening in the floor. Another brilliant design from the Volvo designer with a paper bag and crayon.

You may have knocked the tube loose from the upper half of the sending unit installing it. I see it often with the 7/9 sending units. They are so hard to install through that ridiculous opening in the floor. Another brilliant design from the Volvo designer with a paper bag and crayon.

Yes! Hence the reason I?m not going in there again to fix it!

Beats dropping the tank!

script>

Knocked the tube loose???

It doesn't look like it. The spring loaded tube the float travels in is made up of two tubes that snap together. You may have a contact on the float ghat wore through and has a knife like edge on it that is catching on the wire wrapped resistance rods. I have seen that happen before.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know they make universal aftermarket ones, but that seems a lot like work. I hope you find a fix. I've been using the odometer since I bought mine lol ~400 miles to a fill up

Back