• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 pops out of 3rd gear when decelerating

Don't know if this adds any insight to the problem but when I go back into 3rd after it pops out it grinds but doesn't grind any other time. Also I notice a pulsating vibration in only 3rd and 5th gear.

I have an M47 off of my old car if you're after one. (Don't recall if I mentioned) it ran great, shifted smooth etc. It is however missing the bell housing and the shifter is removed. Thus... it would be useful to someone like yourself, but not to someone looking to convert to manual.

Shipping seems complex, but... I'm not opposed to attempting (I'm in NC)

I can get an m47 locally for pretty cheap, I could also get an m46 with the crossmember and driveshaft though. Whereas this is the second junk m47 I've had in this car I'm really wondering if I shouldn't just put in an m46.

I can get an m47 locally for pretty cheap, I could also get an m46 with the crossmember and driveshaft though. Whereas this is the second junk m47 I've had in this car I'm really wondering if I shouldn't just put in an m46.

M47s are basically the same as the M46s, so weird random problems like this can happen with M46s too... With the extra funkyness of the OD unit and its wiring.

If there is some crappy sound in fifth gear with the 47, with some love and patience it can be easily rebuilt. I only needed to machine a bearing puller tool to remove the big 6306 bearing from the output shaft. No wonders it sounded bad: :wtf:
DSC01201 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

I'd vote for a known good working M47, but thats just me.

Back