• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Member getting ready to go turbo

Dadssleeper

Hi everyone first time post long time reader.

I decided to join the TurboBricks. I have a 1990 Volvo 240 with a B230F. I just purchaced a 1992 Volvo 740 turbo with a B230FT to do my swap. I know its not the squirter block but its the best I could do. I did find a great running one though with 170K.

From my understanding this swap should be straight forward I have already pulled the computers from the donor car ecu and ezk. and understand that they will be plug and play with my current 2.4 system that comes with the 240.

Next thing I hear that the motor mounts are different no problem I can have new 240 mounts ready for the swap.

Exhaust , I also understand that I can cut a few inches from the area before the bend weld it and it will clear my fire wall, I will also have to relocate and weld in a bung for my O2.

I know I use the block mounted distributor from my b230 and have to adapt the inter cooler using the 740s brackets to make that work I have seen much illustrations on this but I am sure I can figure it out.

I am assuming since I cannot find any information in this that my manual transmission will bolt right up to the b230FT with no issues just the way it bolts up to the b230. If I am wrong please correct me.

Also if I am forgetting anything please let me know I am trying to have everything I need to make this swap as painless as possible.

BTW My 240 has been completely restored starting with body and suspension, brakes, bushings etc. I have been working on it for the past 2 years now off and on of course as I have been saving up and buying and doing what I can. I may increase the HP some after the swap , but for now I would be happy with a 162hp Volvo 240.

I am hoping that I have any issues that I can get some advise or if I am missing something I can get pointed in the right direction by using this thread.

I think you need an oil cooler setup. 92 740t was the first year of oil to water cooler setup which won't be ideal in your setup. Either source one from a 91 and older turbo model or source one specific for a 240. Transmission will bolt up the same way. And other then extending the maf wiring to the passenger side, its pretty much plug and play.

be sure you understand high vs low resistance injecvtors and possible need of resistor pack.
ECU can be destroyed if you do it wrong

From my understanding because I am using the computers and the engine from a donor car that I should not have to worry about that or am I missing something? I know that the injectors in the nonturbo would not be the same but I am planning on using the ones that come in the b230FT.

I'll read up on it though, thanks for pointing that out.

From my understanding because I am using the computers and the engine from a donor car that I should not have to worry about that or am I missing something? I know that the injectors in the nonturbo would not be the same but I am planning on using the ones that come in the b230FT.

I'll read up on it though, thanks for pointing that out.

yeah, do more reading, the issue is using the harness...

Not a huge problem if one can splice in the resistor pack for the fuel injectors.

Won't be a problem for me to splice in a resistor pack, I have read about that, but the problem I have having is finding a the information on it. Its not that easy when this has been done with many different types of swaps and or the +T's. Its hard to tell what information applys to me and what doesn't.

I have a hard time locating the right information, I am 44 years old and not as computer savvy as the rest but have spent a lot of time in a shop, Trying to get away from the V8 world and go the more practical route of 4 cyl turbo.

If you guys only knew how many useless threads I have read and have yet to find the information I need.

I think you need an oil cooler setup. 92 740t was the first year of oil to water cooler setup which won't be ideal in your setup. Either source one from a 91 and older turbo model or source one specific for a 240. Transmission will bolt up the same way. And other then extending the maf wiring to the passenger side, its pretty much plug and play.

I been looking into the oil to water cooler set up on the 92 740 , now I have to figure out what the difference is on the 91s and earlier, Thanks for this tid bit I must say in all the swaps I have read this has never even been a topic .

If you happen to know a thread I should read that pertains to this issue , please link me I'll do all the work to acquire the information and parts.

I have to say that in all my years of interwebzing, never have I encountered a Newbie that approaches asking for help with such decorum.

Kudos for coming in asking for help AFTER searching and being open to input. I wish everyone did the same!

Won't be a problem for me to splice in a resistor pack, I have read about that, but the problem I have having is finding a the information on it. Its not that easy when this has been done with many different types of swaps and or the +T's. Its hard to tell what information applys to me and what doesn't.

I have a hard time locating the right information, I am 44 years old and not as computer savvy as the rest but have spent a lot of time in a shop, Trying to get away from the V8 world and go the more practical route of 4 cyl turbo.

If you guys only knew how many useless threads I have read and have yet to find the information I need.

BB91CD12-C86E-40D8-8C35-868E89ED39B7_zpsyq8cpscn.jpg

Info on moving MAF wiring
"Typically the MAF is on the passanger's side pre-turbo, all the wires except ground will reach to the other side. I found it easier to cut the plug off like a pigtail, pull the wires and move it. The flame trap is connected to the intake hose between the amm and turbo in the factory format. Some set ups seem to keep the smaller hose that goes to the intake and some get rid of it with only the single hose to the intake, I got rid of it."

Oil cooler solution http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=41302
more general info :
1. The oil cooler setup will clear the motor mounts fine, but will not work with the 240's downpipe. Not enough room. Next option is to go to an external setup from an earlier model which is what I am doing. Last night I figured out that unlike the 240 Turbo's, which have the threads coming out of the block for the oil cooler sandwich/adaptor to slide right on, the B230FT's use a bolt, so I am going to have to adapt some sort of fitting into the block today to make this work

2. This kinda goes along with #1. The metal pipe going from the water pump to the heater core cuts off to work with the stock B230FT oil cooler setup. Since I am converting to the external style oil cooler, I got this metal pipe from a B230F. It goes straight from the water pump to where you hook up the heater hose behind the engine.

3. Motor mounts. No biggie, just get the brackets that bolt to the block off the engine originally in the 240 and they'll bolt right up to the B230FT.

4. Distributor. The head mounted setup the 7/9 series engines have must be ditched. Since the late model B230FT's had the head mounted distributor that won't fit in a 240, you're forced to run a block mounted distributor. This involves a couple of things. With the head mounted distributor removed you gotta cover it up with a plug that Volvo sells. There is the same plug in the front of the block where the distributor is normally located on a 240. That plug needs to be yanked out and that hole needs to be cleaned up a bit. Now, since the engine came with the head mounted dizzy, it's got a different intermediate shaft. You have to swap out an intermediate shaft from a 240 so it'll have the gear drive to run the block mounted dizzy.

Off the top of my head that is the essential stuff really. EMS is another story. I'm doing the engine swap along with Megasquirt at the same time. If your planning on running a stock management system, you're on your own there. Honestly, it would be less of a wiring headache to run EMS over motronic or whatever is used. There are other things I've been doing to the B230FT, like swapping out the round tooth gears for the earlier style square tooth gears [to run my adjustable cam gear].

Thats about it really, hope that helps.

Thank you all, I feel more confident and on track now.

I have added to my list a resistor pack, a earlier style oil cooler and I already knew about the aux shaft, but thanks for not letting me miss that part just in case and since I did not mention it good catch.

I have found this info here on the oil cooler and was going to follow this http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264458

The oil cooler and the injectors/resistor pack are now on my to do list.

I am not looking to make a race car, I just love my 240 wagon and prefer to drive this style car, its the 114hp that makes me hate this car on long road trips or when pulling a trailer. I fear seeing a steep hill ahead of me or going up through the mountains and here in Maine we have many.

BTW Billy you have helped so so much this is exactly why I decided to join here and ask questions. You have help point me in the right direction.

Thank you all, I feel more confident and on track now.

I have added to my list a resistor pack, a earlier style oil cooler and I already knew about the aux shaft, but thanks for not letting me miss that part just in case and since I did not mention it good catch.

I have found this info here on the oil cooler and was going to follow this http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264458

The oil cooler and the injectors/resistor pack are now on my to do list.

I am not looking to make a race car, I just love my 240 wagon and prefer to drive this style car, its the 114hp that makes me hate this car on long road trips or when pulling a trailer. I fear seeing a steep hill ahead of me or going up through the mountains and here in Maine we have many.

BTW Billy you have helped so so much this is exactly why I decided to join here and ask questions. You have help point me in the right direction.

NO problem! there are alot of disgruntled members here, due to "newbies" and their apparent trust-fund kid level of self reliance and lack of research. While I jump on that train some times, you asked the perfect questions and I was more than motivated to help you with your project. You're a cool kid now and obviously have been for a long time. :lol:

Let us know if you have any other questions or recommendations for part bands and places to buy them. Some thing you gotta go with OEM others dont matter. You should start a thread in projects and restorations (within the showroom section) its good for self motivation and people often catch little oversights or have good suggestions when they can read your story and progress.

I have successfully grafted an oil/water cooler setup from a940 onto my my b21 block. It required a little fabrication but you shouldn't have to do the things i did if you are going from b230 to b230. I like not having all that extra plumbing running towards the front of the car and gave me more leeway to mount my eBay intercooler

Back