• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

From one of RW's old posts:

240_ac11.jpg

I don't have the top stamped piece. Even if I did, I'm wondering if my super-cool '90's pump is different. Looking at a parts fiche. Can't figure it out.

I'm pretty sure the late model pumps just bolt onto the non-AC bracket using the late-style steel arm/bracket.
It's been a while since I did the swap.

So, anyway. Ran back to the PnP, grabbed the PS mount.

4703162F-CF1B-4A8E-97FE-8DFDF4FF4653-M.jpg

It's actually a nice, lightweight piece.

24796759-5135-48E9-8E6B-3D9AD5C9D6F8-M.jpg

Everything bolted up as it should. Except that the PS belt hit the timing cover pointer. Why? Because, that's why.

088ACAEB-9E74-4407-AF0D-A56225CDAB3A-M.jpg

While I was removing the second belt from the alternator so I could install the PS belt, I noticed that the alt bracket bolt had departed. Why? Because...

05D3AC21-9D37-4A24-8BB3-F19B269D8A42-M.jpg

So, yeah, I'm installing this stuff on a motor I will be removing in two weeks. Because.

I actually am anxious to see how the car handles with power assist. AND, I read that the later pump runs at a lower pressure which has a "better steering feel" than the over-assisted old pump. Because.

But, I figure I did loose 5 RWHP from my dyno numbers...

Awesome. You need to space the pump forward. Unless you already figured it out. I couldn’t tell. Good stuff Carl!

It lines up OK on the middle crank pulley. Be nice to have both belts on the alternator though. How do I space it forward?

So, that alternator mount bolt that's missing? Yeah, it's broken. And now the poorly tensioned, single belt squeals like crazy. Crap.

0DBA7E35-8172-4C85-9442-E55A164AE5E6-M.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I had that happen as well, it sucks.

Generally, not too difficult to remove however. It looks like you have a stub to work with, you may be able to get a vice grip on it.

Alternatively, grind a slot in it and use a flat head screwdriver to turn it out.

Mine was pretty flush when it broke. I welded a slightly smaller nut onto the face and it turned right out. Just use a nut with a smaller hole than the OD of the M8(?) bolt that is broken off. Use a mig welder. Worked great. I've used this method a half dozen times over the years to remove broken bolts/studs.

Back