• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's Turbo LS 244

Should mention the China one is a billet wheeled turbo as well. Also I am going to test open down pipe and full exhaust. Same boost levels

The billet 7875 from Vren at VS Racing is almost untouchable for $ per HP. He has the QC on those units dialed in big time. I predict you will sell the Garret 42 to put some money back in your pocket as there wont be a worth while difference.

The Garrett is the turbo that is going to end up on the car in the long run. I love the vs turbos and have them on both cars right now. I do feel like the Garrett will do better across the board. But we will see!

Should mention the China one is a billet wheeled turbo as well.

FAKE NEWS. The fact that it's billet doesn't matter as much as the geometry of the wheel and its blades.

If you can post some photos of that wheel it might be interesting to compare to the GTX design.

FAKE NEWS. The fact that it's billet doesn't matter as much as the geometry of the wheel and its blades.

If you can post some photos of that wheel it might be interesting to compare to the GTX design.

I wouldn't say fake news really. It being billet allows more precise and like you said different and better wheel designs. The billet wheels almost always make more power because of design changes they make from the cast versions.

I get your point though. It being billet, if of the EXACT same design as the cast unit, has no real effect on performance.

I wouldn't say fake news really. It being billet allows more precise and like you said different and better wheel designs. The billet wheels almost always make more power because of design changes they make from the cast versions.

I get your point though. It being billet, if of the EXACT same design as the cast unit, has no real effect on performance.

You know he is an engineer for Garrett, right?

You know he is an engineer for Garrett, right?

And... :lol:

Not saying that it means nothing that he is a Garrett engineer.

We also said basically the same thing... material does not matter as much as design and shape. What I added were some of the advantages of it being billet with the added ability to change the design to be better, easier.

Last edited:
What I will add is that the influence of "billet" gets grossly over-inflated in marketing and bench racing.

I'd wager that almost all of the high-flowing billet wheels on the market could indeed be produced via casting.

I think the main issue is capital investment. If you're running a turbo rebuild shop or a small turbo manufacuring company, you can certainly design a wheel in CAD if you want to, but the cost to tool up a casting with that geometry would be a huge barrier. Much cheaper to go fully machined, which allows you to make quick changes as well, and not commit to amortizing six-figure investments over thousands and thousands of pieces.

It's true that a forged, fully machined aluminum part will typically have better material properties than a casting. I'm just saying take a step back and think about the decisions being made vs. the words being said...

What happened here lol. Starting turbo swap mayhem this weekend if all goes well! Gotta yank the engine out of my 245 because it decided to spontaneously leak from everywhere

Well pulled the engine out of my wagon and power washed the engine bay. Have some exciting news about the 244 that I don't really want let out just yet. I fitted a turck intake and found it cleared perfectly. So the car is going to get a tbss intake along with new fuel rails, contemplating on doing a big 92mm tb or just rocking stock tb with a adapter. I dunno yet but my plan is to maximize efficiency.

Also hot rid of the dog**** analog aem and threw a normal digital aem in it. I've been driving with no afr gauge for way longer then I should have

Looks out of place, but whatever, at least it works

Got the tbss intake test fitted. Had to cut all the hood support out of it to fit it and that's fine with me. Trimmed a bit off the front of the manifold and put on the dbw TB on it to test fit. The dbw stuff did not fit at all. So I cut it up to check for clearance. Got to a point where the hood would make no contact and have some wiggle room. So I did some research and found that fitech makes a sweet throttle body that's lower profile then any other throttle body I could find. Another idea was to get 2 4 bolt flanges and make a extension and angle it downward but I feel like this TB should work. The China tbs have a massive chunk of aluminum up top that will for sure not clear at all. They look just like the Holley (which is most likely a rebranded China TB) any way. I love the way the tbss manifold looks compared to the ls1 intake.

Here's the fitech TB.

And here's the Holley/China TB

Hope this helps some people looking to do the swap!

Alright so in the middle of screwing around with the fuel system and intake for the car, I have the intake ready to drop in. Just finished up fuel rail mounts for it yesterday, the new fuel system setup is going to be -10an feed line from dual aem 380lph pumps to the rail. I'm going to over do the whole fuel system just because I'll have more overhead with it. Also have some 210 injectors I'm going to be using on it. The throttle body is a nice piece. So hopefully I'll be able to get some work done on it this weekend.

well just been driving the car and tuning, cant get very far, completely out of fuel pump at this point. so I hope I can get that fixed and do some drag racing before the end of the season, started working on some other stuff including the 55. we started to rip into the engine and figure out what we are going to do with it. the chassis is done so body and drivetrain are whats going to start happening soon. so once the volvo is settled this will be getting my full attention.

Back