• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cutting out on launch, lh3.1

SenseiRice

Back again with my 1991 240 lh3.1 That I put a rebuilt 93 squirter motor with a vx3 cam in. Got around 600 miles on the motor. It was my first overhaul and first time I did a motor swap mostly by myself so I guess there was bound to be some kinks. Anyways I decided to launch it on tarmac for fun, revved it up to about 2500 rpm and dumped the clutch, it spun the tires for a second then started cutting out and back in with my foot flat to the floor. It wasn?t bogging, the motor started cutting out and back on. I took my foot off the gas and let it coast for a bit then drove off fine. I decided to try it again just to see if it was a recurring problem, gave it about 3000rpm and same thing but it cut out and came back on for longer. I haven?t launched the car since the motor went in but I have gotten it moving in 1st then floored it and had it song straight to 6k no problem. I wanted to see if it would still rev fine and full so I got moving at about 5mph the flooered it. The car cut out at about 4000rpm but came back on and continued fine all the way through second gear. Parked it after I got to school and haven?t checked anything yet. It had a 2-3-2 code from the jetronic computer but no MIL on the dash. before I put the motor in it would throw 2-1-4 codes from the ezk computer but show no symptoms of having the code. Any ideas what I should check first? Don?t want to run in blind and spend 4 days diagnosing this if I can avoid it.

214 is your crank position sensor IIRC.

You should check the wiring for this and make sure you haven't blown your rear cam seal out the back of the motor and puked oil all over the thing.

I can check the ECU number when I get home, the rear cam seal isn't leaking because I've been checking the seals and gaskets for leaks and they're all still dry.

Sounds like a cps sensor wiring problem. Me thinks when you launch it hard the engine moves so much that it looses signal because of wiring.

Sounds like a cps sensor wiring problem. Me thinks when you launch it hard the engine moves so much that it looses signal because of wiring.

Yeah... and/or the motor is squishing the sensor between the head and the firewall...?

Just got home and checked codes, still only have the before mentioned 2-3-2. Had no problems with 2cnd and 3rd gear pulls. Just got a pretty nice thinderstorm so I'll probably have to wait until later tonight or tomorrow to diagnose anymore

Swapped out the cheapo cap and rotor I have for the Bosch ones I had on the old motor just to see what would happen and it's still the same.

I was driving normally and it cut out on me pulling away from a stop, the stop sign is at the bottom of a small bump in the road so I dont know if the car bounced just right and something moved causing it to cut out again or what. I let It coast for a second then put my foot in it to not hold up traffic. Chirped second and it didn't cut out but it bogged real bad. Never had any issues with it chirping second before.

Last edited:
Back