• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Street Car

I needed some inspiration to go out and work on my car for a bit today. I chose to read your build thread so far and I think I'm good n happy for the winter. All very nice and proper! Nice job man, always A+ work.

I do have a question about those engine mounts.. So is the weight of the engine OK on the two rods suspending it by an outward pulling lateral force? Or will those bushing wear out pretty quick? I just havent seen a setup where the mounts are not at least a bit more on the underside.

photo+2.JPG

Thanks!

I'm not sure I follow. The magnitude of the force on the bushings is proportional to the reaction torque from the engine and the distance to the bushing. Moving the bushings closer only increases the force they see. This obviously assumes a rigid structure, but the mounts themselves are heavy enough to where I'm not terribly concerned. If the bushings fail (which they might), I can drop in poly versions.

I gotcha, I was referring to how they suspend the engine and keep it in place from torque forces. I wasnt referring to just the bushing location but to how the rod placement seemed different than the usual location of engine mounts, which mount to the crossmember below.

Mounting them to the frame rails lets you drop the cross member without removing the engine.

Took delivery of the shifter and punched some mounting holes in it.
photo%25201.JPG

Turbo modzzz. Chopped the weird v-band flange off and welded a piece of tubing in its place.
photo%25202.JPG

Got the IAT mounted up on the charge pipe. Protip: A -6 fuel rail blank from Ross Machine Racing is the perfect size for this Bosch IAT. The o-ring compresses nicely and there's plenty of meat to drill and tap in to.
photo%25203.JPG

photo%25204.JPG

Homer tipped me off to this IAT. He said he's been running it in his car for a while. Ordered one on eBay a few days ago and it finally came in. It's a Bosch part, so it actually has documentation.

photo.JPG

Also got a 240 turbo throttle cable in. I'll get that fitted the next time I'm in the shop.

When you say documentation do you mean it is calibrated?

In order for it to be calibrated it would need a standard to be calibrated to. In this case the standard is what Bosch decided it to be. According to the data sheet (http://www.finjector.com/verkkokauppa/documents/4f962f6973b69/0280130085.pdf) the resistance value should be within a +-5.4% deviation from the nominal curve.

I'm a little disappointed the data sheet only has one data point and a relatively vague plot but in the grand scheme even getting that information is loads more than you can expect from Denso or Magnetti Marelli.

The time constant and nominal resistance are drastically different though, so not sure that it matters.

At any rate, NTC sensors obey a specific curve defined by a specific formula. The typical approach is to just manually obtain enough datapoints to solve for the constants in the formula you can have as many datapoints along the curve as you want, by just plugging values in the formula.

The true "calibration" data for such a sensor would be these 3 constants, as this is equivalent to not just giving the curve, but the mathematical formula for the curve. They are unique to every single sensor though.

Yeah, this whole curve business is a little annoying to me. I've been thinking about removing the thermistor and installing an RTD element instead.

Capped off the old PCV port on the manifold.
photo%25201.JPG

Shifter is bolted up. It niiiiice.
photo%25202.JPG

The modified compressor housing looks like it'll work.
photo%25203.JPG

Picked up a Walbro 255 from Poik earlier. Finally got that in the mail. I also got a couple of really nice 0-7bar pressure transducers from my buddy Daniel. I'll be using one for oil and one for fuel.
photo%25204.JPG

Back