• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Guess that noise

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
I just got the car running again after snaping a TV cable for the trans. First test drive around 10 miles into the drive and this happens. Go figure, I never went over 9psi so who knows what went wrong this time. Engine definitely is down a cyl so we shall see if I can find some time to tear into it tomorrow.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vAU7vguDJ-c?controls=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmmm... interesting. Though, I've never had a rod bearing go on a redblock. Toyotas have more of a thud sound. Damned engine acoustics.

I tried real hard to convince myself it was something else. When I pulled the head I could move the piston down .020" before it stopped by backing the crank up first.

Well the good news is that the clacking has stopped, the bad news is that is it still firing on only 3 cyl, oddly enough cyl number 3 is dead, pulling the injector plug or coil does nothing.

I am trying to decide if I want to throw the rods i have in the n/a block sitting on the engine stand or if I want to try to do something a bit more extreme and then what block to use. In a month or so I will have a second 1993+ n/a block available. But this is the perfect winter weather to be driving a turbo car not working on it.

Almost sounds too fast for a rod knock, knowing what mine sounds like with slap. Double-checked the flex plate hardware yet? I'd also expect a tone change between throttling up and winding down (based on experience, having lost a couple rod bearings in mine). Strange...

sure...reply WHILE I'm typing...

How's the oil pressure? Vacuum stable? More blowby than before?

Oil pressure was rock solid in the sense that the oil light never came on, I was about 1 qrt low in terms of oil was at the bottom of the dipstick mark. I will try to pay attention to vac maybe if I start it back up again. Vac has always been 11-13 on this engine. No smoke out the tail.

Either way I will pull the plug for #3 tomorrow and see if I can get my scope in the hole and see what is going on. I guess I might also be draining the oil to check it. The dipstick and oil in VC looked fairly clean.

While I am hoping it is the head I almost want it to be the block and the head is still good, either way lots of taking it slow tear down in front of me and $ to be spent. Great time for a fresh block, new exhaust manifold and new turbo along with all kinds of other stuff right? Or maybe just another block so it drives, turn the boost down and V8 swap the 944 and then V8 swap this once I know what I am doing and then add a turbo. Who knows what tomorrow's mood will put me in.

Well the issue might not be a lower end issue . . .

But either way it looks like I will need a full long block worth of work to fix this one, and depending on my luck a turbo also if it damaged the wheel exiting the engine.

Snapshot000000.jpg

Snapshot000003.jpg

Snapshot000004.jpg

Valve guide!!! It comes apart when is slips down. Had it happen twice on a 530 head I had a lot of time and money invested in.
Run a pool called name that tune!!!

Source of noise found, screw for the throttle plate. I guess there is a first time for everything, first time I have seen this as a failure on these engines. Broken in two places.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OtybGJKarpo?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rps20171210_085254_523.jpg

rps20171210_085218.jpg

And the damage

rps20171210_085154_411.jpg

Yes that is the threaded part of the screw there.
rps20171210_085122.jpg

rps20171210_084644_589.jpg

Back