• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2001 C70 Downpipe replacement Now with WTF IPD???? (Now with tuning content)

Bready

board deviant
Need to replace my downpipe with cat - suggestions? Figure as long as I'm at it I should opt for a 3" performance set up since the difference between the OEM and that is a few hundred dollars.

Thoughts on the best option out there?

Thanks

If you can find the OBX stuff, the ones I've seen and had on the R were nicely done.

CJ (yother.com)may still be making them as well, little on the spendy side but really nicely done.

OBX doesn't sell their downpipes separately, it's a full turboback setup. If that's what you want, fitment/quality is decent for the price, and the full OBX setup does drone while cruising. You can find the downpipes separately in the classifieds/CL for around $150, but you'll need to do something to mate it up with the stock exhaust.

As mentioned in the post above mine, CJ, IPD and a couple others have nicer, but more expensive options

I wonder if the one from an 850 would fit the chassis? My brother has an OBX, I think its angle flanged. But I think it might be catless...

What I saw on the OBX site seemed built for the inline 6 NA motors - am I missing something?

I wonder if the one from an 850 would fit the chassis? My brother has an OBX, I think its angle flanged. But I think it might be catless...

Thanks Jordan.

Ya didn't think of that - I need a cat.

What's the OEM price like?

As long as it's angle flange, anything from the P80 line will work (all 850 and s/v/c70 1st gen).

You can also make a P2 downpipe work if you have access to a welder or exhaust shop.

Can't beat the value you get for an OBX turbo back system, it comes with two downpipes, one for a straight and one for an angled turbo housing.

I'm pretty sure your 2001 s70 would be a straight angle on the turbo exhaust housing, also check if your car has the SAS bull****, which connects to the downpipe to pump air during cold start to warm up the cat, not sure if the 2001 have that but my 1998 does.

The OBX exhaust doesn't have a cat, although there is a spot for the rear o2 sensor, so a spacer may be required if you don't run a cat. Does WA require a cat or have some kind of inspection ?
Otherwise I'd find a 3" high flo cat with an o2 bung and weld that on to the pipe after the downpipe?

In BC we scrapped our "aircare" programme so i'm going to be running the OBX exhaust with an SAS delete, and rear o2 delete and will probably replace the OBX muffler with a Dynomax.

Pretty sure Bready's should be the 'flat' flange not the angled flange. That said, Bready, if you find an angled flange DP, get the housing, swap onto your current turbo. Really did notice a difference on the R with the DP and angled housing upgrade. Roughly 3/8" larger ID on the housing compared to the flat flange housing.

Amar is right, check for the air injection. I don't recall if those still have AIR or not, Gwen's did not, but it was before the AIR craze of 98. lol

lol by straight angle i meant flat flange. There are two types of angled flange turbine housings as well - one is 6cm^2, and the more desirable one is 7cm^2.
The larger one does flow quite a bit better than the flat or conical housings.

UJSZWeG.jpg

above image shows a straight flange vs angle flange turbo. Yours is most likely a straight flange.

SAS is easy to spot but I have no experience with the 99+/ME7 stuff or whether them models have it or not:
http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/air_pump_replacement.html

OBX doesn't make the turbo exhaust anymore, so only place to find is a random place that still has some stock.

And as stated, OBX kit doesn't have a cat. Same chassis for 850 to 2004 c70 so anything that fits fwd 850 fits fwd c70 with regards to angle or straight flange turbo which is only difference.

I have the OBX kit in my S70 T5M and I kinda think it's on the quiet side. Sounds great at full throttle but a bit quiet with any throttle less than full. Build and fitment are pretty good compared to the price. Rear muffler pipe hits my IPD rear sway bar though I'll blame IPD because their bar doesn't have an angle built in like the oe bar has.

Also for anyone running no cat- I've had good success leaving the rear O2 out of the system. Plug the rear bung and zip tie the rear O2 up out of the way but leave the electrics plugged in. Rear o2 is looking for oxygen to say if cat is good or whether secondary air is needed. If sensor is out of exhaust stream it sees lots of air. I've not had and cat or sas check engine lights yet. Just a thought.

Exhaust kits are still available on ebay but the prices have gone up exponentially! I found this kit still for a reasonable price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximizer-...ash=item1a01a315e3:g:4FUAAOSwAHZUNBjm&vxp=mtr

Do a quick search on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...RS1&_nkw=volvo+850+turbo+exhaust+obx&_sacat=0

Wonder if that black kit is stainless or not?

Prices will continue to rise since they're not made any more. The turbo back kit isn't listed at all on their website. That being said, I paid $350 shipped just three years ago!

Wonder if that black kit is stainless or not?

Prices will continue to rise since they're not made any more. The turbo back kit isn't listed at all on their website. That being said, I paid $350 shipped just three years ago!

Maximizer is mild steel. Maybe OBX won't make their system anymore but the Maximizer off brand has upped their offerings. I'm still surprised they offer something for 7/9 series car and nothing for 240s. You can still get a Simons kit from overseas.

I've wondered if this place has stock:
https://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/ex11111.html

I bought their $65 OBX strut brace but the next day they cancelled the order and refunded me stating it was not in stock. Seems they're pretty bad with what their website shows as available or in stock.

anyone have issue with the p80 sedan fitment of the OBX exhaust? With the tip sticking out an extra couple inches?

stance fittment

Last edited:
Back