• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Are the 91-92 heater/AC units superior to previous?

Thanks for the pics Matt, hopefully going back this weekend to fetch the RH panel, and as much of the AC wiring as I can salvage.

Last (hopefully) trip complete. Got the RH panel, and another piece of the harness. Sadly, the AC relay was nowhere to be seen, so someone else snatched it. I did pull the complete rearend while I was there.... not too many 100k mile 240 rear ends with the speed setup installed, left to be had. Parking brake cables were near new looking.

Will get some pics of what I grabbed for wiring. I'm sure I will end up with a composite harness for a 93 AC system merged with an 84 dash wiring.

OK, the pics of the 93 240 AC harvest:

DSCN7763.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Full HVAC reactor unit with the R134a evaporator

Here is the small harness which is attached to the unit:

DSCN7762.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last, the pusher fan, which I understand was used in perhaps the 91-93 cars, plus as much of the harness as I could cut out (back to the +12V bus right above the battery):

DSCN7764.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I didn't get the relay that Matt showed earlier.... it was gone. Will have to wait for another late model 240 to hit the Pullapart near me. I'll get to studying the 84 wiring to see how to best retrofit the 93 system control.

In the middle of my big 89 to 93 changeover. Here the 82?-1990 HVAC unit next to the 93 unit (on the right). The evaporator in the 93 is massive compared to the 89. The 93 evaporator looks bigger then the evaporator in my 1998 V70.
IMG_1426_zpsphsgehot.jpg

IMG_1424_zpslt8codha.jpg

IMG_1425_zpsy9rucpzd.jpg

The good news is that it bolts right in place of the 90-older box. Fits perfectly.

I ended up using the 93 heater control valve, I had to make a new hose for it since the one from my donor car disappeared until I got the dash all back in.
IMG_1430_zpspatfjknn.jpg

The older style heater control valve that was seized
IMG_1431_zpsu9qz8ljl.jpg

The good news is that it bolts right in place of the 90-older box. Fits perfectly.

I ended up using the 93 heater control valve, I had to make a new hose for it since the one from my donor car disappeared until I got the dash all back in.

Gotta love those factory solutions FTW!

Up and running!

Had the suction line redone as the old one was leaking at the crimps. Pulled a vacuum on it and it held, filled with with 1.64 LBS of R134A and some oil.....blowing ice cold and everything works as designed. Fan cycles as it should. Pretty much a stand alone system, it would probably run with no ECM inputs.

IMG_20170503_173509433_zpsqum6oyu1.jpg

IMG_20170503_173749329_zpsm0v38ykf.jpg

'93 blower box into '85

I'm swapping a '93 blower box into my '85 and noticed that the upper blower outlet spacing is ~1.5" narrower on the '85 box, and there's a visible inward jog in the outlets. The lower blower outlets are about the same, or maybe the '85 is a tad wider than the '93 (or it may just be the slop in my boxes). The outer fan housing dimension seems to be the same on both.

'85 on left, '93 on right (click on image for full size):

How do folks make this fit properly? Trim the plastic ductwork somewhere? Swap the black blower housings? Just bend the ductwork as needed?

Thanks - Bob

^Grab the 1991-93 heater vent duct assembly...

I'm soon to be doing the same swap on my 245Ti. Plan to use R12a instead of R134a, tho.

-J

Thanks all, I rummaged around and found the missing center vent piece for the '93. Whew! I'd be really annoyed if I left something so simple behind at the salvage yard.

The main left/right dashboard duct assemblies, and the under seat ducts, seem the same between '85 and '93.

I've done this swap so many times I lost count. Doing another one at the moment. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but dont forget to get the right side firewall panel and when you get the bracket for the accumulator, make sure to get the foam wrap with it. There is no PN for that foam part and an accumulator wont fit without it. I'm sure you could rig something up but the foam looks better.

Gotta put a R134 decal on it too.....makes it colder. :-P

More pics (click on thumbnail for full size):

As mentioned before, the left/right dashboard duct assemblies, and the under seat ducts, seem the same between '85 and '93. If you're going to go to all the work to pull a blower box in a salvage yard, why not keep the spares that are ~10 years newer?

Last edited:
Another thing, if the car is pre-'91, grab the 1991-93 integral reservoir PS pump with its lines, if you aren't going manual steering. On the 1985-90 240 non-turbo cars, it gets rid of the exxon valdez on the driver's inner fender. On the turbo cars and pre-'85 non-turbo cars, it replaces the old P-type Saginaw pump with one that's compatible with the rotary compressor.

Also for what it's worth this is an excellent time to take all the vents and run them through your dishwasher, clean with soap and a brush, etc. All this time I thought I was enjoying "old volvo smell" when it was really just 35 years of accumulated dust, dirt, grime, and who knows what else...

Back