• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Noisy T5

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
Is it normal for a T5 to be noticeably noisy in the cabin of the car? I've never really driven another one for any distance so I don't have a baseline to compare to. Keep in mind this is an early car ('79) with little sound deadening around the trans tunnel.

When I let off the gas, I can hear the trans very noticeably in the cabin. Like there's a LOT of gear lash/gear rattle. Also very noticeable beside highway concrete barriers. When I'm on the throttle, putting a load through the trans, it quiets down, and it doesn't make noticeable noise in neutral. Just kinda wondering about other people's experiences. I'll make a recording tomorrow to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

I've always heard it's a "noisy" transmission, but I didn't expect this.

If it's normal, some dynamat is in order.

Everybody has same problem

Almost all who have installed a t-5 have decell noise. Nothing that i have found can change it. I just turn the radio up louder. Vibration is not normal, but gear noise is. Mustang forums discuss the same problem.

Do you have a shifter boot on? When I first test drove my car with the tko transmission and no shifter boot I thought for sure my transmission was gonna blow. :lol:

I then installed a shifter boot and it got much quieter. Still audible but not straight cut gear box loud....

Most people say they are noisy, if you want to quiet everything down I would get a thick shifter boot and then put some sound deadening around the transmission tunel. That should help alot.

They are loud. What you describe sounds normal. Mine's pretty nice and it's still loud. Rob's old box was like gravel.

The 02 V6 Mustang t5 box I pulled from the JY had a damper bolted to the rear tail shaft housing. You might try something like that. It also had a large damper built into the slip yoke.

Mine had that chunk bolted to it too. Or maybe it was the one in the wagon, I have that piece though.

The giant damped slip yoke won't come close to fitting in a 240. Tried it.

Mine had that chunk bolted to it too. Or maybe it was the one in the wagon, I have that piece though.

The giant damped slip yoke won't come close to fitting in a 240. Tried it.

hmmm that's too bad. I wonder if we turned it down to fit if it would have enough meat left to be effective.

Do you remember how much interference there was?

not even close. I tried it when I had the driveshaft off, cause I was going to plug up the trans and drop it off the jackstands. if you knock the outer ring off with the rubber between, maybe, but of course what's the point.

there's a note on the yoshifab site that the 4cyl mustang driveshaft can be used with the driveshaft adapter if the "weight" is removed from the driveshaft. bet it's similar.

My t5 makes a lot of noise when the car is sitting still in neutral and I let off the clutch. Is this cause the throwout bearing is just sitting there, under no load so it vibrates some?

The T5 in my Gold car has some PTSD, it's rebuild and shifts like butter, but it's a little traumatized from a previous rebuild. Mine's so loud I think I should use ear plugs for long trips. Loud gear lash on decel, loud TO bearing when in N, loud when cruising on the freeway.

Last edited:
My t5 makes a lot of noise when the car is sitting still in neutral and I let off the clutch. Is this cause the throwout bearing is just sitting there, under no load so it vibrates some?

The T5 in my Gold car has some PTSD, it's rebuild and shifts like butter, but it's a little traumatized from a previous rebuild. Mine's so loud I think I should use ear plugs for long trips. Loud gear lash on decel, loud TO bearing when in N, loud when cruising on the freeway.

Install a return spring on the clutch fork. So theres a 1/4" gap at idle. I had the same problem until I did that.

My T5 makes various sorts of noises. Decel noises. 5th gear cruise noises. Occasionally under full throttle it makes some different noises. Part of it is the aftermarket shifter (Tri-ax iirc) - I think it transmits more noise into the cabin than the more isolated (and sloppy) stock shifter.

With my cams in my 16v, the gear lash noise was horrible. Push clutch in, its silent, let out and clickity clack at idle. My T56 does the same thing. I called the tranny guy and he suggested drainng a quart of atf out and pouring in the molases lucas oil stabalizer. My neutral clatter is almost gone now.

Other than that, just like the others, my T5 was noisy on decel and 5th.

t5

My freshly rebuilt T5 is terrible, rattles routinely. Made a thick boot insulator from an old 240 seat foam, slightly better to live with now. Tried Royal Purple Synchromax, maybe 1% quieter. These things are nasty.

Thanks all. Yeah, I'm using a shifter boot, and it's still noticeable, but apparently nothing to worry about. I appreciate the advice.

Back