• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 940 T trans flush, is dex/merc ok?

Nearing almost 300k on the trans in my wagon, flushes every 30k or so with the method I posted above, no issues, and it gets abused. What the tech may have been referring to is a POEWR flush, which can indeed cause issues on a worn trans. There is some logic to it, depending on the overall condition of the trans.

Not overly complicated to do the trans flush. Use a hose, run it into a container. I use a 15mm wrench. It doesn't require special tools.

* after flushing you can install what you like/want
* advised on this forum to install Dex VI Sythetic (sorry correction) works well for me :nod:
* near kaput AW70, after a couple flushes & adding Dex VI synthetic it feels fixed/improved

Last edited:
I put 5 gallons through my 4 runner after dropping the pan and changing the filter. I kept flushing until it came out purty red though took almost all of 5 gallons.

I would say that yours is the exception. I've never had to use anywhere near five gallons for a flush.

^ I bought a case of ATF from napa and only ended up using half the bottles before it came out nice and red when I had the aw70

I have a feeling prices on crack dropped recently as I can see some outstanding posts on TB.
I think guy meant a short version of how to fix leaky trans cooling line, out of nowhere.

Everything was said here and everywhere else about flush. OP can proceed.

Crack is whack...heroin is where it's at! People are dying for it. Literally....

Posted via Mobile Device

Also, don't shop at Walmart.

Why do you say that?

I've used Wal-Mart's "Supertech" branded oils, lubes and transmission fluids for many years without any problems.

I might consider paying more for a "better" product if I raced or used my cars/truck hard, but as I drive fairly conservatively I see no reason to switch, based on the lack of issues I've had with their products.

I do a drain and fill two or three times every 30k on both my bricks and they run smooth and happy, even the AW70 on my Wife's car. I run Dex VI in the PS and transmission, because it's cheap for me to get and keeping the amount of different fluids in the cars to a minimum is good for simplicity.

Why do you say that?

I've used Wal-Mart's "Supertech" branded oils, lubes and transmission fluids for many years without any problems.

I might consider paying more for a "better" product if I raced or used my cars/truck hard, but as I drive fairly conservatively I see no reason to switch, based on the lack of issues I've had with their products.

When I worked for a Ford dealer the cost per quart of fmco oil was cheaper at Walmart than our cost from Ford. Walmart is the cheapest oil around in all brands.

The dollar store chains are very competitive price wise with wally on name brand oil. DG has the green bottle castrol @ 3.75 a quart right now... normally 4.65. Gotta be careful with the off brand stuff... don't know if they still do but they used to sell off brand oil that was not suitable for engines built after 1988.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I worked for a Ford dealer the cost per quart of fmco oil was cheaper at Walmart than our cost from Ford. Walmart is the cheapest oil around in all brands.

Don't think I've bought oil anywhere BUT walmart for the last decade except for specialty stuff like Redline.

Also set myself up with 30 quarts of M1 ATF last year when one of the local chains was blowing it out for $2/quart. lol

Don't think I've bought oil anywhere BUT walmart for the last decade except for specialty stuff like Redline.

Also set myself up with 30 quarts of M1 ATF last year when one of the local chains was blowing it out for $2/quart. lol

I'm not a chemists, but since we going on the tangent line. Isn't bad to store and use old fluids? Don't they disintegrate? I never store extra oil/atf because of that thinking.

I'm not a chemists, but since we going on the tangent line. Isn't bad to store and use old fluids? Don't they disintegrate? I never store extra oil/atf because of that thinking.

The fluid spends months/years in various warehouses long before it's on the store shelves so some more months sitting wont do any damage.

and i doubt oil/atf goes bad when in its sealed bottle

Brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air after it's been opened and will go bad but I don't think any other automotive fluids go bad.

I don?t think ATF goes bad when you store it in the original bottles. If that was so it would go bad in the transmission to.

Petroleum stuff usually has a pretty long shelf life if it's sealed. In my case, they're all sealed AND still in the box as well, so out of light. I've got absolutely no issue hanging onto this stuff for a few years.

Why do you say that?

Walmart is a terrible company whose business model is to pay low enough wages that many of their employees have to be on public assistance to make ends meet. They have a corporate policy of aiding employees to get on the dole. This forces you and me to pick up the tab for their living expenses in the form of food stamps, etc. In turn, the employees spend their food stamp dollars at Walmart thus making the Waltons, who own as much as half of our country, even wealthier.

That's why.

Last edited:
Walmart is a terrible company whose business model is to pay low enough wages that many of their employees have to be on public assistance to make ends meet. They have a corporate policy of aiding employees to get on the dole. This forces you and I to pick up the tab for their living expenses in the form of food stamps, etc. In turn, the employees spend their food stamp dollars at Walmart thus making the Waltons, who own as much as half of our country, even wealthier.

That's why.

And that's ladies and gents your biggest Amazon competitor.

Back