• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M47 flywheel bolt fell out

iHateVolvoPeople

About a year ago I had a clutch put in my 93 240 by a close-friends-uncles-friend. The whole job from start to finish cost me about $525. I would have done the job myself but at the time I did not have the confidence to tear out my tranny, nor did I have a machine to resurface the flywheel. After driving the car for awhile this horrible noise appeared to be coming from the bell housing. I was worried but by the time I got home it had disappeared. This happened once or twice. Just tonight I pulled the brace that holds the transmission to the engine and noticed these wear marks. I'm worried that at least one flywheel bolt has come loose and worked its way out. Either that or some other piece of metal did.. How much should I be worried? I've been driving the car for quite awhile with no issues yet.

Last edited:
Yup before reading this I looked closer and saw that it wasn't possible. Thanks! I've never had a transmission out of a car so in between the flywheel and engine is the pressure plate? So it goes rear main seal>pressure plate>flywheel>clutch disk?

It seems like nothing could go inbetween the flywheel teeth and case surrounding it. I see some bolts inbetween the flywheel and engine but I don't know what they're holding in.

Exactly. I'll tell you what I think did that. One of your rear main seal housing bolts came out. The gap between the flywheel ring gear and the bell housing is so narrow, I don't think anything could get to the opposite side of the flywheel, unless, it bounced through the starter access area. Really doubtful. I think if you look up with a flash light at your seal housing, you may be able to see if one of the bolts is missing.

Exactly. I'll tell you what I think did that. One of your rear main seal housing bolts came out. The gap between the flywheel ring gear and the bell housing is so narrow, I don't think anything could get to the opposite side of the flywheel, unless, it bounced through the starter access area. Really doubtful. I think if you look up with a flash light at your seal housing, you may be able to see if one of the bolts is missing.

I couldn't for the life of me describe that lol. Thank you, that was a good description. When I had them do the clutch I didn't have them do a rear main seal (that was very stupid of me) so I'm not sure how one of those became loose. The rear main seal housing bolts would only be removed if one was doing a RMS, right? This would explain the leaking..

So there's the rear main seal that you just pull out and replace like other seals and then is there a seal around the housing itself as well?

The rear main seal housing has a paper type gasket that goes between it and the block. The paper gasket however is a tad longer at the base then the housing is. So if you are going to replace that. Remove the housing from the car and lay the gasket on it and trim it accordingly and use rtv at the base of it. I do not recomend replacing these with the oil pan on however. Alot of times you run the risk of compromising the oil pan gasket and that is not to fun to do in the car. If the seal retainer isnt leaking dont mess with it. To remove the rear main seal i drill 2 small holes in the rear main, thread in 2 self tapping screws that are about 1 inch long. Then use heal bars to remove it. When installing the rear main seal i pack the back of the seal with dielectric grease to avoid having the the metal spring fall out.

Back