• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swap speedo tone ring into early axle?

bugjam1999

Hi all,

A question about adding a speedo sensor to an early axle that doesn?t have one- can it be done?

I appreciate that swapping the axle complete is easier, but complete axles are getting harder to find in the uk, since more and more people are building big power 240s and breaking axles...

So- is the diff casing different? If not, could a speedo sensor tone ring be welded to the diff the same as a later one and then the diff cover swapped for a later one that has the sensor in it?

Even reading that back I?m thinking we should keep looking for a later axle, but since I?ve typed it all out- could it be done?

Alternatively I?m sure I saw a thread about swapping an lsd in where someone was saying they cut grooves into the diff carrier for a sensor to read- perhaps that?s the cheap and nasty way to achieve what we?re looking for?

Cheers

To provide a speed signal for 2.4lh and for a speedometer- the car is getting an m90, which doesn?t have a speedo drive.

The internals of a later speedo will he swapped into the earlier cluster - another friend did this previously and I have pictures etc.

So 12 teeth.

Cheers

One other option I've seen mentioned, but haven't tried personally, is to use a front strut, hub, and VR sensor from a later model 240 with ABS. The ABS hub is 48 tooth, and uses a similar VR sensor as the rear differential. With this, you'd need the later model speedo (K40000 series), and would wire it to the ABS sensor instead of the diff. sensor.

A good suggestion, thank you. Unfortunately finding abs struts in the uk is basically impossible, I?m not sure I?ve ever seen a set on eBay or advertised on a forum. If desperate I?m fairly sure we could rig up something - possibly putting a laser cut plate on the back of one of the hubs and building a bracket to locate a sensor in a suitable place? - but I think in summary we?ll keep looking for an axle and swap it in complete.

Thanks for all your input.

Cheers

Back