• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

3M42kP6h.jpg

Time for spring seats bud

No way CwazyWazy spends that kind of money. Nope.

They don't make me go faster in a straight line, why bother?

I've got a pile of suspension stuff but I'm leaving it stock for now. I like the comfort. Eventually I plan on putting in all my goodies with new bushings, maybe lower it just a little.

According to the website my turbo hasn't shipped yet and the customer support stopped replying to me.. I was hoping on making it to Lime Rock but I don't think that's happening. Maybe I could write Volvo on the Galaxie..

Well I got bored of waiting for my new turbo and figured out how to give my 15g a complete $0 rebuild using parts from my obliterated 19t. It now has zero shaft play. I'm also proud of my new oil feed solution, using no zipties. Clears perfectly fine with the Denso alt.

It runs and drives fine.. Except I think it's slower than it was two weeks ago, especially in the lower part of the rev range. I was expecting that with the IPD cam but I was also expecting it to pull harder up top.. Maybe the log manifold is a lot worse than I thought, though I don't remember noticing a real difference when I upgraded to the 90+ on the wagon.

I also spent some time fixing all the little wiring problems that I either ignored or temporarily repaired. Looks a lot nicer without my makeshift injector harness I made back in January.

Currently at ~12 degrees base timing with .035" plug gaps and about 15psi. I'll have to play around with the cam timing.

onfri6oh.jpg

zf6OIjgh.jpg

8vgXmOTh.jpg

AZait44h.jpg

I don't like the breather hose. I think I'm gonna try and make a pretty one out of some hardline and P clip it on top of the oil line.

I put valve hushers in it while I was in the head. I almost miss the sewing machine noise now..

EDIT: Also it took like 20 miles for all the oil to burn off my downpipe. People looked at me funny. After that 20 miles it didn't smoke at all or drip anything but AC water.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jGEusDEbs4g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's definitely slower than the wagon was, but also more fun. Only failure yesterday was my rear passenger window getting stuck down again.. Not sure exactly what, but something in the mechanism got bound up and removing/reinstalling the motor freed it up. Engine pulls right up to the limiter instead of the power dropping off, which I like.

Pp6k14Oh.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/07e7p45i36k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rate my one wheel peel action.

I think cleaning up all the carbon helped to reduce knock. Before it'd ping a little bit if I ran it hot and hard but now (With another 2 degrees timing, same boost) it doesn't ping at all. Even going WOT with the temp needle nearly in the red.. Radiator fan needs a little work.

Last edited:
Yup, TD05 20g.

B59APChh.jpg

kbxCgtph.jpg

qVdttObh.jpg

nJPyg48h.jpg

At wastegate pressure right now (15psi) and the only issue is that it came with a blowoff thing instead of a CBV and it's open at idle/cruise making it run rich. Hits full boost by 3 grand.

I did some other little things like fix the big gap between the radiator and the fan. I replaced the slightly too short original nylon fuel feed hose with a 6an nitrous line. I like it cause it looks pretty.

fOK18RHh.jpg

vMHqILZh.jpg

QeP7SPUh.jpg

Swapped over the CBV from the 15g and now it runs great except it seems to have developed a soft rev limiter at 5500. Pretty sure my intake hose is getting sucked shut now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TwAl6UCGCA0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does that td05 work well with Volvo exhaust manifold? What kind of turbine housing does it have? Keep up your good work!

I was having some random running issues where it would go dead rich and I assumed it was something with the new turbo but it was just another MAF failure. I think that's like the 5th or 6th one in my 3 years of Volvo ownership.

<div style="width:100%;height:0px;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/5jqw2/cdqplm" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden;"></iframe></div>

It's a TD05H-20G with an 8cm T3 housing, internally gated. Apart from the drain being really close to the actuator and having to ratchet strap the engine to get the manifold/turbo in there, install was pretty painless. 55.8/49.1mm inconel turbine wheel, 52.5/68mm compressor wheel, AR .57.

It ran great with a known good maf, for a few miles. It's doing the same crap in that video now.

nhzD1kLh.jpg

Last edited:
My intake manifold appears to be leaking oil.

oHXFyNWh.jpg

Still trying to get the kinks worked out but I should be able to slap in my new injectors and start playing with the boost soon..

Today I drove on an actual racetrack for the first time. I'd say it was a success since I was able to drive the car home in one piece, but unfortunately I only got to do about 15 minutes of actual balls to the wall driving. SCCA Tracknight event at Palmer motorsports. Paced laps went well then in my first session I was trying my darndest to pass the Cayman in front of me (He was going pretty slow, for that car) and I noticed some weird noises in boost and it was running terrible at part throttle. Also the temp gauge was riding the white line just before the red zone. I decided to keep pushing since it wasn't knocking or seriously overheating, but then my brake pedal went to the floor with no warning. Cruised back into the pits and found all my turbo to manifold nuts were completely loose..

The nuts holding my turbo on are copper locknuts and I made sure they were all super tight this morning while I was giving it a check over. The manifold to head nuts are exactly the same and haven't come loose at all.

I'm dumb for never having bled the brakes on this car but in my defense, before today at least, it always had a super solid pedal and stopped really good. After they cooled off I had my pedal back but it was a bit spongy so I just bolted my turbo back on and drove home instead of taking my chances going back out. The turbo gasket is wasted and leaky now too.

Dunno what to do about the cooling problem.. I've got a Nissens 3 row in nice shape that I thoroughly flushed when I had the head off. Running roughly 20% coolant and some Water Wetter. Also starts to run a little hot at 70-80 on the highway with the AC on full blast. Running a stock 940 fan with the shroud modified to fit.

Still a really fun day.

60FxW5Kh.jpg

EjPFiMXh.jpg

Oh yeah, my overdrive went out like a mile after I got on the highway. It was doing some weird stuff until I turned it off. Hopefully it's just low on fluid, haven't even checked it in 3 years. I was gonna do a fluid change but my new overdrive gasket was torn..

Never buying a K&N filter again. The drainback valve just didn't work, took 5+ seconds for the oil light to go out on cold starts. Like two drops came out when I replaced it with a Mann.

I also put in all my gauges. Hot idle is a hair over 1bar, 3-4bar cruising. I'm a little concerned about the hot idle but I think it's fine. 5w40 synthetic. Somehow broke all my dash lights except for the one over the fan knob..

Decided I hated the tailpipe, mainly because it wasn't straight so its been replaced with a stock one.

Put on my IPD bash pan to hopefully gain a little mileage and cooling efficiency. Thinking of sticking a pusher fan in front of the condenser.

Also changed the ATF for 5w30 (10w30? I forget) in the M46. Shifting feels the same but overdrive works now. I haven't seen how well it works over a long drive and I don't expect it to live a whole lot longer. On the hunt for a new M46.

d2NcvpVh.jpg

XteqMqEh.jpg

pMhrfflh.jpg

N6v4SuXh.jpg

Z13HhRVh.jpg

Never buying a K&N filter again. The drainback valve just didn't work, took 5+ seconds for the oil light to go out on cold starts. Like two drops came out when I replaced it with a Mann.

I also put in all my gauges. Hot idle is a hair over 1bar, 3-4bar cruising. I'm a little concerned about the hot idle but I think it's fine. 5w40 synthetic. Somehow broke all my dash lights except for the one over the fan knob..

Decided I hated the tailpipe, mainly because it wasn't straight so its been replaced with a stock one.

Put on my IPD bash pan to hopefully gain a little mileage and cooling efficiency. Thinking of sticking a pusher fan in front of the condenser.

Also changed the ATF for 5w30 (10w30? I forget) in the M46. Shifting feels the same but overdrive works now. I haven't seen how well it works over a long drive and I don't expect it to live a whole lot longer. On the hunt for a new M46.

Buy my wagon.

Back