• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how *bad* the log mani is, but the air does have to sort of mill about angrily in the log for a while before it gets the idea to go out the flange. It might not actually be as bad as it mentally seems to be.

The advantages of the log are all in the initial cost (although I've had to have mine flattened twice so far by a machine shop) and the packaging - they're very small and fit into a very small space.

Aron - But then I'd have a stick welder! And I could make sliders for the 4Runners, things like that.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how *bad* the log mani is, but the air does have to sort of mill about angrily in the log for a while before it gets the idea to go out the flange. It might not actually be as bad as it mentally seems to be.

The advantages of the log are all in the initial cost (although I've had to have mine flattened twice so far by a machine shop) and the packaging - they're very small and fit into a very small space.

Aron - But then I'd have a stick welder! And I could make sliders for the 4Runners, things like that.

Stick welder = poor mans welder

I don't know if this has been discussed, but is the log mani better for flows than a 90+ with an adapter flange?

eh.......... not really

...90+(and pre90) are garbage, runner size is too small, and the sharp bends are horrible. actually the "collector" on a stock manifold aren't much better than what a log is - the air is still trying to figure out which way is out. log is better. not perfect for sure, but better than stock hands down imo

I guess I've been posting updates in the SE(X) thread, instead of here...

Head is on, exhaust side is on, waiting on a few odds and ends to finish out the intake side.

Currently wading through the engine wiring. Over time, I've been using less and less of the stock harness, and adding more of my stuff. Got sick of the unused wiring, and the new wiring outside the looms. Plus, I'll need to add a fair amount of new stuff this time around:
- individual wires for the injectors intead of the single LH fat gray wire that fires all of them at once
- COP wiring
- DSM CAS wiring

So I stripped the casings off all the stock wiring and I'm picking out the circuits I no loner need and removing them (AMM, PCV heater, Bosch ignition, some random two-wire plug that was always unused by the block dist, stock NB O2 wiring). And inside the passenger footwell I am getting rid of the rats nest that is the combined EZK and LH harness. Just picking off one wire at a time that goes through the firewall, figuring out what it is, and either labelling and clipping it, or removing it. Got through about 80% of it last night, it's pretty close to having that mess out of there. It's a little intimidating to see the huge mass of wiring under there, but just doing it one at a time and it clears out quicker than you'd think.

Then to wire up the new components, re-loom the wiring under the hood, and start trying to get the MS3X box configured (PM in to gross polluter - hopefully he can give me a nice starter MS3X MSQ so I'm not starting from scratch).

Other than that - still need to:
- hook the DP back up
- install the timing belt and accessory drive belts - notable that I now have a smaller drive pulley - might need new belts?
- install the intake manifold and FPR

Last edited:
About the underdrive pulley, i used 900 mm long belts over the alt and waterpump and lengthened the tensioner about 10-15 mm (stock belts were 940 mm). With shorter belts it can work with the stock tensioner i guess but then the alt would have been a bit close to the oil filter and oil cooler plate. Note that I use the stock 240 water pump pulley, the big one, not the smaller turbo version. I have the same pulley as you have (just for 8v though), it was ordered together with the 16v one you have.

Nice, I'll try that if my original belts don't work. I also swapped the alternator to the smaller 100A Nippodenso style from a late model 940, so that may make a diffreence as well. I have a new A/C belt sitting around somewhere, I got it a couple of years ago from FCP as a replacement, but it never fit, too short. So maybe it will work now.

How do you think I felt when I did mine.

1336d830.jpg

For some slight additional fun, my whole engine harness was swapped in from a 940T by some previous owner (or their mechanic). So there are some snipped, spliced, and plain unused wires here and there. There was even a 2 foot section of heavy 2 gauge wire leading from the starter terminal up toward the firewall, where it was cut and taped off.

Mine won't really be that much simpler once done, since I'm adding about as much as I'm taking out, but at least it will all be functional. And not redundant. No more unused wiring tucked all over the place.

I'm trying to think of ways to use the unused dash lights now. Like the CEL, the upshift indicator. Maybe a lean mixture warning light and a shift light? MS3X has a ridiculous number of outputs jsut waiting to be configured via Tunerstuido - no need to open the case, solder jumpres, configure transitor outputs, add wires, they're all there already in the new output plug pigtail.

MS3X has a ridiculous number of outputs jsut waiting to be configured via Tunerstuido - no need to open the case, solder jumpres, configure transitor outputs, add wires, they're all there already in the new output plug pigtail.

only if ms2 had so many outputs

It's Toyota. Off a Corolla or something (I bought them from Nathaninwa).

IMG_7606.jpg

I soldered for hours last night. I removed lots of unneeded circuits from my 940 wiring harness, then condensed the plugs at the firewall, and went from 5 down to 2. Now I'm repurposing a couple of them for the sequential injector wiring and the COP wiring.

I need to swing by the PnP tomorrow and get some more donor wiring and complete the COP wiring through those same plugs. That way I can unplug everything at the firewall if needed to pull the motor.

Here's part of it:
IMG_9333.jpg

That's a lot of the sensor wiring, plus the sequential injector wiring. (And the knock sensor and A/C compressor wire - I really need to wire up that Knocksense I've had kicking around the house since before I blew up the 8V from.... knocking....).

There's a 12V+ (switched). And a ground. And a signal wire that goes to MS. And the last wire is some sort of 'ECU feedback'. Not used in this application.

It's getting closer to that first attempt to start...

A few random tasks still left under the hood. Mostly installing the hot side piping, the rad hoses, and the belts (waiting on a box from FCP with some shorter belts). Got the intake installed, the idle valve plumbed and hung under it, the timing belt on and the cams and DSM CAS timed properly.

I think my big fat strut brace is *just* going to fit. It might have to sit on top of some nuts to fit, but it will fit.

IMG_9359.jpg

Wiring is about 95% done inside the footwell. It's mostly hooking up the WB and A/C compressor, I think. I premade the MS harness with the 940 style multiplugs, so it was easy to just pop those ends through the firewall and click together with the engine harness.
IMG_9360.jpg

its looking good. The Machine hasnt even touched my bottom end and they've had for a little more then a week. Im not worried yet about time since everything is done, its just a matter of putting it all together.

Maybe I'll worry in a few weeks

Back