• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Slightly more elegant solution than bfh utilisation to establish clearance.

Great project, I am looking forward to reading about each development whenever I log on.

Slightly more elegant solution than bfh utilisation to establish clearance.

Great project, I am looking forward to reading about each development whenever I log on.

A BFH would not do it. You'd need to completely different crossmember. It's not like it's "kinda close" with the fwd pan...

IMG_0052.JPG

The halves got gooped back up

IMG_0053.JPG

This part came out ok. The section not visible, not so much

IMG_0054.JPG

Had some real trouble with this top corner. There was a massive pocket of slag right at the cut which made welding it pretty difficult. Had to boil the crap out and file it off the top about 50 million times before the metal was clean enough to join up ok. Net effect was there was very little material left so I was forced to burn some more filler on there to build it back up.

Is there any issue with taking a 5-cyl pan and cutting it so that it is 'thinner' in the required areas? The 6-cyl cut pan is probably easier but in the absence of a 6-cyl pan can a 5-cyl pan be modded to fit?

Is there any issue with taking a 5-cyl pan and cutting it so that it is 'thinner' in the required areas? The 6-cyl cut pan is probably easier but in the absence of a 6-cyl pan can a 5-cyl pan be modded to fit?

You would have to "notch" it because the oil filter mount would need to remain unchanged, and you'd need to make some manner of custom pickup. At that point the motor would be a real bitch to install.

Alex, I tend to clean cast parts quite a bit more than that. Hitting it with a flap disc until the material is shiny with no trace of the rough casting finish makes life easier.

Giggle.
Another solution would be a dry sump, but that's so far off the scale of logic for this project right now.
(Yes I did attempt to make this project sound logical)

Last edited:
I always forget how disproportionate a shortened 960 pan looks. The sump is absolutely enormous in relation to the total length

Alex, I tend to clean cast parts quite a bit more than that. Hitting it with a flap disc until the material is shiny with no trace of the rough casting finish makes life easier.

The pics make it look dirtier than it is. The pan welded surprisingly well everywhere except that one top corner that was just horrendous. Must have been a casting defect right there. The job was exacerbated by the fact that the die grinder broke and I had to file everything by hand.

One corner of the pan rail only lifted about .25mm after welding so I shouldn't have to machine off that much to bring it back to flat.

I always forget how disproportionate a shortened 960 pan looks. The sump is absolutely enormous in relation to the total length

The pics make it look dirtier than it is. The pan welded surprisingly well everywhere except that one top corner that was just horrendous. Must have been a casting defect right there. The job was exacerbated by the fact that the die grinder broke and I had to file everything by hand.

One corner of the pan rail only lifted about .25mm after welding so I shouldn't have to machine off that much to bring it back to flat.

In real units 0.00984251969 in:rofl:

I've found a place to get the tooling done for the airbox in exchange for help laying up a carbon steering wheel.

Turbo arrived.
Nothing can be easy, can it?
The guy left the snap ring out of the comp housing. Up side? This thing is practically new.
Holset%20001.jpg

Holset%20002.jpg

Holset%20003.jpg

Holset%20004.jpg

Holset%20005.jpg

Last edited:
Back