• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

REX/Regina + Turbo Questions

jvluntzel

Hello All!

Just as a forward, I have done lots of searching and reading and digging through threads to gather info but I would like to collect a few here and make it clear for me (and others) whats going on:

First, My Car: 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Non Turbo REX Regina Automatic

Questions:

1) Being a Map based system on the REX/Regina, What pressure does the stock MAP sensor read up to (ie .5 bar positive (above atmosphere) pressure?)

a) With that, can I replace the sensor with one that can read higher? Like a GM 3 Bar?

2) I have many sets of injectors I can use (850 orange top 330cc, v70 blue top 420cc, audi 380cc etc....) What size would you say is a good balance between safe AFRs and not running pig rich?

a) I will be using a piggyback (either afc neo, emanange, etc...) to control fueling (maybe timing too) to ensure I dont run too rich/lean (with a wideband of course)

3) What is the simplest oil feed location (T off of ol pressure sensor? somewhere on block?)

a) Along with that for oil drain I am guessing drill and weld a bung in?

I just want to gather all the info together and in my build thread I will take many photos and make it really clear how to set it up.

This is for a +t oem style so not crazy high boost or anything (I am going to be running a td04h-13c so a nice punchy midrange and quick spool is what I am going for)

Please include any photos you have!

Thanks!!!!

1 - Stock MAP is 1 bar.
1A -I can't remember what bit of trickery I did, if any, but try plugging in a 3 bar and see if the car starts.

2- Somewhat of an unintentional trick question. Rex/Regina FOR ME was like Jekyll & Hyde in regards to being on and off boost in respect to AFR's. Also depends on your turbo choice. 13C/15G could make good use of the P80 injectors without much issue.
2A - Interesting. Will keep an eye out for how you go about that.

3 - My KISS answer is the 1/4" NPT plug off the front of the block under the water pump. Other have also Tee'd off from the oil pressure sensor without issue.
3A - In car? You could get something welded onto the pan. I think someone here was playing with a Kinugawa no-weld fitting but I cannot recall who that was at this time.

1 - Stock MAP is 1 bar.
1A -I can't remember what bit of trickery I did, if any, but try plugging in a 3 bar and see if the car starts

2- Somewhat of an unintentional trick question. Rex/Regina FOR ME was like Jekyll & Hyde in regards to being on and off boost in respect to AFR's. Also depends on your turbo choice. 13C/15G could make good use of the P80 injectors without much issue.
2A - Interesting. Will keep an eye out for how you go about that.

3 - My KISS answer is the 1/4" NPT plug off the front of the block under the water pump. Other have also Tee'd off from the oil pressure sensor without issue.
3A - In car? You could get something welded onto the pan. I think someone here was playing with a Kinugawa no-weld fitting but I cannot recall who that was at this time.

1) Do you know what the ohm range for the stock sensor is?

2) Sorry but what are p80 injectors? Lol

3) Do you have a picture of that plug? Is it plugged from factory or do I need to drill and tap?

TB being pretty slow this AM.

1 - No. I do have a Volt scale though, will try PM'ing it to you along with some other data... Correcting myself and will state the the "plug a 3 bar MAP in and see if it starts" won't be the best thing to do; If the car even does start, it won't be that stable, you'll need a way to bleed boost so the car doesn't swing either way on the AFR scale and stall or break something.

2 - Technical chassis code/platform your earlier referenced "orange" and "blue" injectors are from.
Stock 850 Turbo (orange) - 315cc/min
Stock S/V70 1998 (white) - 350cc/min
many others(eg. blue), but omitted from this example

3 - (Lightly) circled in blue, Credit to Volvoclub.org.uk
OilPressureTestPort.gif

I'm still a bit(very) reserved though; I'm more inclined to tell you to "just buy a factory turbo car" as this whole process will test your patience/resourcefulness. If this is a daily/your only means of currently reliable transportation, I'd abandon the plan entirely.

I'm not familiar with Rex/Regina, but the MAP sensors I've looked at are all absolute pressure (0kPa to ~112kPa, or to ~250kPa, or ~300kPa). They all have an analog voltage output between 0 and 5 volts. (Measuring the resistance of the output won't be meaningful.) They are all linear output versus pressure -- 1/2 scale output of 2.5volts is 1/2 of max pressure. E.g. 2.5 volts on a ~1bar sensor is ~50kPa, 4volts is ~80kPa.

You might be able to use a MAP sensor with a larger range if you mate it with injectors with the same increased range. For instance, 2.5x on MAP sensor with 2.5x flow on injectors. You can also up the FPR for higher flow.

Again, I'm not familiar with Rex/Regina, so ask around before trying this.

Thanks for your assistance everyone. Just to be clear this is not my DD so you can throw your reservations out the window :p

I’ve ran a Apexi AFC and greddy emanage on Regina, worked wonderful.

Could you provide information on the settings that you used? Any details would be really helpful.

TB being pretty slow this AM.

Thanks for the PM on the MAP sensor information - although it looked to be mostly just basic information on how MAP sensors work. As long as the REX MAP is a 1 bar then that would cover the boost levels I would run just fine.

On my 'TB being pretty slow this AM' comment - TB was taking literal minutes to load posts/PM's/replies for me yesterday AM; I probably should have elaborated then, don't want that to be taken the wrong way.

oh I get you for sure.

UPDATE: My 14point7 Wideband and HKS Turbo Timer came in today! Also started putting parts on the car, I got the oem intercooler installed and am wiring up my electric fan conversion stuffs.

I am in process of acquiring a Greddy Emanage Blue that I will mod to be Gold (allows for datalogging and tuning with wideband)

I don’t know if it helps but my na Regina car with 208cc yellow injectors has a afr of 14.7 under load. I want to richen it up for more power. Will it still try to make it 14.7 under boost?

I am in process of acquiring a Greddy Emanage Blue that I will mod to be Gold (allows for datalogging and tuning with wideband)

Awesome that's good man. I like the Emanage. I disabled tps and used the boost sensor to tune my setup.

Awesome that's good man. I like the Emanage. I disabled tps and used the boost sensor to tune my setup.

Thats the plan. Any info you have on your setup would be helpful (or even a base map :D) Pictures too!

I don?t know if it helps but my na Regina car with 208cc yellow injectors has a afr of 14.7 under load. I want to richen it up for more power. Will it still try to make it 14.7 under boost?

you will need to modify the signal so it "thinks" its targetting 14.7 when really its targetting something lower like 12.5

Back