• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850R vs 740 Turbo Thread

89_740Turbo

I've always been one who has thought the 850R was a beautiful car. Style, performance, the whole 9 yards. I've also thought the 740T was a beautiful car as well with style and performance.

What's your opinion on these 2 cars? Which would you prefer? Does one offer things the other doesn't aside from amenities and speed? Do you have any personal experience with both?

I love the look of the 850's and S70's. But I do enjoy my 7/9 much more. I just picked up a 1994 855Turbo with a 5spd swap so I have now a 855 and 945 both with the same turbo (15g) and both are manual. The 945 has a ton of basic bolt on mods and the 855 is mildly stock with an R manifold, intercooler and tune. I Love the sound of the 5cyl, even more if you put a full 3" exhaust on it. But in the end there is just something I love about the 7/9 more when I drive it. The 855 pulls so good on the top end but just feels bad going through turns.

Either way find the one that you enjoy the look and feel of. Both can be great cars, the fwd cars can just be a little more effort to work on. But in the end they do have better engines when it comes to stock air flow and they run really well once you do some upgrades.

I've always been one who has thought the 850R was a beautiful car. Style, performance, the whole 9 yards. I've also thought the 740T was a beautiful car as well with style and performance.

What's your opinion on these 2 cars? Which would you prefer? Does one offer things the other doesn't aside from amenities and speed? Do you have any personal experience with both?

Both of those cars are hideous.

I would prefer a 240 over both of those options,but if i had to chose: 940
But with your ideas being all over the place especially for being a newbie you'll probably just go buy a 240.
, then start trying to mod it.

940s feel more stable and boat like compared to an 850.

Op, how many cars have you owned?

comparing an 850r to a 740 turbo is like comparing steak to a Vienna sausage

I would rather drive a corolla than a 740

Owner of 850 fake r since 2003. 400k miles on chassis.

Sure the 850 costs real money to maintain unlike the 740 where even a headlight can be replaced with a desk lamp. Unless your 740 comes with a back seat full of empty soda cans you can recycle for profit, I would stay the fuk away

Keep in mind that if you take it to a mechanic and get quoted $4k in repairs once your 850r hits 200k you can’t call the cops on them

Last edited:
I prefer 740's because they stack moar easily when you send them to the crushah... 850's belong on CList Barter or preemptively in the yard...

If one could graft a v70 rear end, like the rear most glass to tailgate, onto a pre-86 245...flat hood, single rounds... hnnnngh...

NO! I MUST TURN AWAY FROM THIS DARKNESS! SAVE ME REDBLOCK JESUS! COMMANDOS 4 LIFE!!!

Just crown Vic wagon and be done with it
1997CrownVicwagon_01_700.jpg

Aesthetically, the 850R is iconic. The 740, not so much.

I would have not kept an original 740 family car for 23 years ... and counting.

I have always liked the 850 turbos

Smash the throttle and they shift into high gear at 122mph and keep pulling.

The 5 cylinder makes better music than a banger.

I'd own one now, but am concerned they won't last as long as a 9 series, and I'm not so keen on FWD.

I've eyeballed a couple of 9 series cars but the interiors seem to turn to ****e (brittle plastic).

I have a friends 7 series (blue) in my driveway for some MegaSquirt love, and the interior is literally crumbling! I would crush it...

I used to collect Mopars and the cars that had black interiors held up way better, is this the case with volvos as well, do some colors hold up better?

I always liked the 850r..but having owned a few they are a headache. Fast? Yes..but unless you upgrade the brakes for spirited driving your be replacing rotors all the time. The suspension sucks for any kind of "r" driving. If you lower it then it rides like a mack truck..tire width size is limited. Don't even get me started on the crap blue box junk parts that need to get replaced every 10k. I'd rather have an amg Mercedes. Its about a quarter the cost of owning a Volvo.

7 series..I've hated them from the start

I test drove an 850R w 100k miles. It is more iconic than my S70 and looks cooler but my S70 is better in every way, with way more miles. Faster better built more reliable more crispy not to mention real suede seats no fake ish.

As for RWD of course the 7 series don't listen to the 2 crowd they all look like Mr Burns quietly sinking in their baths under the weight of a sponge.

All y'all are fools. 850Rs/850s in general are super clapped by now, but they in no way are "bad" cars. They're stupid easy to work on, they're pretty fast, they ride great, quiet inside, etc. FWD is boring, handles like garbage, but if you're getting groceries, and driving it to work... whatever. Seats are miles better, too.

All y'all are fools. 850Rs/850s in general are super clapped by now, but they in no way are "bad" cars. They're stupid easy to work on, they're pretty fast, they ride great, quiet inside, etc. FWD is boring, handles like garbage, but if you're getting groceries, and driving it to work... whatever. Seats are miles better, too.

This. My fake r is a blast from 50-120

I like both.

The 850/s70 stock for stock is quicker. Mildly modded, still quicker. Unless you're doing some all out crazy mods, the 850/70 will be a faster, nicer car. The interior in the 850/s70 is nicer and mildly breathed on they make better power and are quicker. Up top above 70mph they're shockingly fast. They can be made to handle decent, but that takes more mods. I wouldn't make a race car out of one, but as a quick daily or quick weekend car, with a nice stereo, they make a fabulous platform.

Cons, they ride poorly, eat front tires and don't have enough brakes stock IMHO.

Overall, for daily driving I like them more than the 240/740 series simply because the interiors have more creature comforts and hold up better. Also, the power is a bit more accessible IMHO. They spool easily with those smaller TD04 turbos in a heavily trafficed area, meaning you can get into the powerband easily and its fwd, so wheelspin comes before the ass end steps out and kills you or the person next to you.

740s I like more for an "all in" setup . The fwd based 850s make them ok for daily driving, but not so much for an all-out fun car. In other words, I wouldn't use one for racing.

The 740 stock for stock is slower, but if you do the work and graft on a 16v head, build the motor or swap in something bigger, then you'll have a better platform IMHO. That being said though, its definitely an "all in" affair because you've got all the other mods associated with throwing big power down on a 30 year old platform platform. I like both for different reasons, but even as I drive my own 2j swapped wagon into work on some days, it has to be a warm, sunny day with dry pavement. RWD is only fun until the ass end steps out at a 30 degree angle at 70mph on a crowded freeway whilst you're trying to overtake a semi. My fwd RN swapped car doesn't do that to me even on the wettest of days.

Also, 240s suck .

Back