• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

Some cool technology out there.

Need to sort my heater out. I lubed the water valve, got it adjusted to the stop when on "cold," still getting heat when I don't want it. Which is probably better than not getting it when I do. Going to be nice to be able to de-fog the windshield properly this winter.

Must be one of the most beautiful wheels ever made...

IMG_20171007_103535-M.jpg

Not to sure about those valves other than it sucks to replace them. Was this a new one? Was it a lifetime warranty part from the locals?

Fiddle with the adjustments I guess. I tried messing with mine since I was getting heat when it was on cold a while ago and it ended up fixing itself when I was examining it and stuff.

My head hurts. Been reading about gear lube for the trans. Got MTL in it now. The M47 is terrible. 100 years ago, in the dead of an Iowa winter, I swapped conventional for the synthetic Valvoline gear oil in my '76 Celica. It was truly amazing. I see posts about running Type F in the Volvo. But this was discontinued years ago. Now we're on Mercon or something. Further reading shows that there is a terrific similarity between gear oil and transmission fluid (additive package), the primary difference being viscosity. Sounds good. So we can run ATF in a manual box. More reading discloses that gear oil and engine oil viscosity charts are different and that 80w90 gear oil is like 10w30 (or so) motor oil. Well that sounds reasonably light. (Not quite ATF light?) Especially if running a synthetic like the Redline product. Then we see that the GL5 is too slippery, and syncros like GL4 to slow spinning gears. OK. That's great. So were does that leave us on a worn-out Volvo gear box? Mercon is cheap, try that?

I noticed basically no difference between what I think was used motor oil vs brand new OEM Volvo trans oil in my M47.

I'd just go with synthetic motor oil. The OEM oil I got was pretty pricey.

Pull one in the junkyard and hope it doesn't have 200K miles, is notchy going into 1st, and noisy in third.

Oh wait they all have 200K miles, are notchy going into 1st, and noisy in third.

:-P

:lol:

I'm saving up for a T5...

Depending on price of T5 it’s a 1500-2000 swap
Trans
adapter
Bellhousing machined
Pilot bearing
TO bearing
Speedo cable (maybe not in your case)
Adapters for TO bearing
Driveshaft
driveshaft adapter
Crossmember or fab your own
Clutch
Shifter
Short shifter
Fluid
Transmission mount

Last edited:
Depending on price of T5 it?s a 1500-2000 swap
Trans
adapter
Bellhousing machined
Pilot bearing
TO bearing
Speedo cable (maybe not in your case)
Adapters for TO bearing
Driveshaft
driveshaft adapter
Crossmember or fab your own
Clutch
Shifter
Short shifter
Fluid
Transmission mount

Shoot. I was hoping for a grand...

Also:

My T5 isn't noisy
Good luck getting a T5 done for $2000 thay will hold up more than a couple hundred HP

Back