• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Matt's 97 V90: The V9000+

Silver

No crust.
IMG_2111.jpg

Air suspension stuff starts at post #99

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

830531_10151324099499226_1348512903_o.jpg

55680_1564292918957_1584390024_31289684_6955306_o.jpg

So at some point this summer my beloved 87 745 decided that she wanted to have intermittent running issues (but this article is not about her).

tbsignew.jpg
<-- Old pic

After leaving me stranded on the side of the road a few times (and costing me two tows) I decided it was time for "more reliable" (read: "less electrically hacked") transportation:

1013001554.jpg

Enter the new 1997 V90 Wagon. I had my eye on owning one of these for some time but never figured I'd actually buy one. But on the third of October I wrote a check for somewhere around $2500 and drove her home from Ballard (the place where ALL Volvos in Seattle magically originate).

1013001553.jpg

At this point she is my daily driver. Modifications will follow (as they must) but for now they will be pretty mild.

1106001436a.jpg

1106001436.jpg

As you may have guessed, suspension (more accurately, stance) is my current priority. She definitely needs to be lower. I've looked into a few different ideas and I'm investigating switching to MK1 IRS swing arms to open up my options for the rear. The front should be easier.

She is sitting on Work 18' VS-TXs. The wheels that Weezil had and other TB'ers before him (they are TB OG wheels fo sho).

I might try the modified BMW header bit sometime down the road but ATM my exhaust is working.

I think that's about all for now. I'll continue to update this thread/post as I make progress.

Last edited:
Nice car, good to see someone else trying to mod a 9. As for switching to mk1 IRS arms at the rear, the only stumbling block that I've encountered is where would you mount the roll bar?, the mk2 arms bolt directly to the rollbar on the mk1 there are no bolt holes(and the arm is wider).

Great looking car, I loved my 965 when it was in it's prime. One of the best things I did was remove all the lower trim, sand it with 320, and shot it with several cans of Krylon semi-gloss black plastic paint. It held up great and I no longer had to worry with the graying issues.

Great looking car, I loved my 965 when it was in it's prime. One of the best things I did was remove all the lower trim, sand it with 320, and shot it with several cans of Krylon semi-gloss black plastic paint. It held up great and I no longer had to worry with the graying issues.

Even better, body match that ****

medium.jpg

edit:// Hey OP yur cars real purdy

Thanks guys.

Ben, the wheels look super good. Thanks for the deal.

I probably should body match that trim. I'm debating whether I want to pull it off and sand it smooth or just pull it off and paint it.

As far as the IRS components are concerned, I'm not looking for much of a performance increase (if any). I have a 240z and a 300zxt for that kind of stuff. I just want to lower the car for cosmetic reasons. I've been debating putting it on air bags but I'm a bit hesitant to mention that (because it may not happen and I don't want to get flamed). Problem with the MK2 IRS is that there aren't really any mounting points for anything on it. I assumed to run anything other than helper springs (like your setup poi), I would need to do some major work.

I guess this all begs a new question:
How low does the back sit without the shocks (supported by just the leaf)?

I haven't had a chance to look at it but if I can get a significant drop out of the back without removing the rear leaf then I'll just leave the MK2 trailing arms and do something like poi did.

What did you mean by modify the leaf anyway?

BTW: poi, I've been looking through your build threads and pictures and I continue to be impressed. I've liked you car since I saw it on the main page.

Last edited:
Got my new trailing arms (courtesy of 2manyturbos, thanks again). Just gotta put her on jack stands and see what I need to fab to make the back work.

Took some time today to shoot with Travis (Freq). He's pretty stinking good:

55680_1564292918957_1584390024_31289684_6955306_o.jpg

57268_1564292798954_1584390024_31289683_4716292_o.jpg

52818_1564293118962_1584390024_31289685_7371751_o.jpg

What ever happened with that car?

I've been driving it around for ever. Mildly worked NA for the time being, but I'm gonna do a smog-legal 16v swap in a few months.

I guess this all begs a new question:
How low does the back sit without the shocks (supported by just the leaf)?

On a Nivo-equipped car, it'll sit with the top of the tires coincident with the wheel well, maybe a slight tuck. On a non-Nivo car, it'll just sit at ride height (obviously). Most wagons have the Nivos, but there were apparently quite a few that didn't, so its worth checking. I'm investigating just putting all the weight of the car on the shock mounts and ditching the spring. May require some welding on the torque arm to beef up the mounting point.

please, please, please, please get different wheels.

Workin on it.

Back