• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Turbo Airbox Lid Retention Clips

dman535

Most of the clips on my factory airbox are missing with broken shards of plastic where they used to mount. Any tips or tricks on sealing the airbox lid with the missing clips ?

I was thinking of trying some strips of thin sheet metal cut to the width of the bottom of the clip, thread the strip through the clip and fold it over, then pop rivet this to the bottom (edit: read side) of the box.

For a temp fix on one car, I used some rope around the box, works fine. Plastic tie straps, lots of them strung together, should work too.

Last edited:
The clips for the headlight lenses work great too, they fit nicely. At least the Ecode clamps are good for this, not sure about the headlights you have.

They don't have clips like that sadly. I am ditching my air box for this reason and doing a heat shield and a cone filter.

940 Turbo Airbox Lid Retention Clips

I removed the airbox in my 88 765 last summer and fastened some latches to the top and bottom parts and then used zip-ties to assure that the latches did not come unlatched. I found the latches in the hardware catalog at NAPA. They only cost about $2.50 for a package of 2. I used four Latches. I don't remember the part numbers.

940 Turbo Airbox Lid Retention Clips

I still have a clip in my car as I had to buy another package as I ruined one of the clips. If I look hard I may still have a reciept from NAPA or one of the packages in the back of my car. I keep all of the reciepts from the parts stores, I just don't have a good filing system.

IME, every RWD Volvo I"ve tried that↑ on has lost power, mostly torque; turbo or NA. Stock air box has proven superior every time.

Hmmm I am curious to see what it does then. That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense because the stock air box looks like it would be really restrictive.

To the OP, I have considered drilling through mine and adding bolts or something.

IME, every RWD Volvo I"ve tried that↑ on has lost power, mostly torque; turbo or NA. Stock air box has proven superior every time.

Really?? Dynoed? I'd be shocked.

Clips wise, hardware stores sell stick-on clips that work fairly well. I'll see if i can find a pic.

I did something similar with my wife's 760. I used knockout blanks from a new breaker box that I installed in a house. I made two small cuts and bent up little tabs, drilled each tab to accept the spring clip, and pop riveted them to the box. Worked really well. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow if anybody wants to see it.

I made my own cold air kit a couple of years ago and I can tell you by the seat-o-meter and the fact the car will now bark 3rd gear I thing it was an improvement. Being able to pulled beside a ricer and letting them hear the turbo blow off (which is not audible with the stock air box) is priceless!!!;-)

I did something similar with my wife's 760. I used knockout blanks from a new breaker box that I installed in a house. I made two small cuts and bent up little tabs, drilled each tab to accept the spring clip, and pop riveted them to the box. Worked really well. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow if anybody wants to see it.

Would be great to see pics

I found a hardware store in Texas that has almost identical clips AND with a base that could be pop riveted or bolted on. They work very well and look almost original. I'll try to dig up the info for you.

Eric

latches

I found some draw latches in the Mcmaster Carr online catalogue, part #1889A22. Take the air box out, fit the latch where the old ones sat, with a little tension on the clip, drill and pop rivet the latch in. When you see a pic of the latch it will be clear. I replaced all of them on my car several years ago.

newclipworkslikeacharm.jpg

thats how it was on my old airbox.
put some jbweld on the backside to make sure its sealed.
i BELIEVE those clips came from osh or home depot. but could probably be sourced at almost any hardware store.
that was a while ago. dont remember the specific part numbers or names or anything, just go in and look for something like this. they dont have it, go to the next part store.
or mcmaster carr apparantly has what you need.

Back