• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

97 940 suspention upgrade

AiZiK

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 940 t
Which is stock right now (hopefully not for long) and my shock and springs are horrible after doing some google digging i found that BC racing are making coilovers specific for the 940 which is the ZG-09BR
I was wondering if anyone are using those if they are Bolt-on like they suppose to be. And if they are any good?
Another question is what are the ups and downs for coilovers on a 940 and if coilover is bad idea what is the alternative. Thanks

Last edited:
Im about to build it for track lapping but i think i will build most of the parts for adjustble setup so I could enjoy the rainy days also. Problem is that track setup and drift setup are very different. But mostly track

BC is bolt on apart from that you have to weld the strut to your existing spindle. The adjustment for the rear shock absorber is placed in the top, which means it has to be dropped to be adjusted. I haven't driven mine on the road yet, but I drove a friends 940 with BC and liked it. It has lasted a year, including one track day so far.

Weld a strut? Sound a bit risky can you arrange some photos so I could see how to make it work?.
And by a year you mean that the coilover is wasted (low quality or somethin') or just better replace'em after a year, I assume by saying one track day is just that the coilover seen track once in their life or they are not capable for many hard work situations?

yes you have to cut the strut tube and weld in the BC coilover.

The rear springs they are offering are also too stiff for anything other than drift use.
The spring rates I mostly sell are a fair bit softer

Weld a strut? Sound a bit risky can you arrange some photos so I could see how to make it work?.
And by a year you mean that the coilover is wasted (low quality or somethin') or just better replace'em after a year, I assume by saying one track day is just that the coilover seen track once in their life or they are not capable for many hard work situations?
Sorry, I meant no problems after one year of use, including one trackday. Found a pic of the front strut here on the forum:
suspension002.jpg

You can see the weld at the bottom. The sleeve, shock etc can be removed, so it's just a hollow tube you weld onto the spindle. As classicswede mentioned, the BC spings can be a bit hard (softest option 6kg/mm). His stuff looks good so have a look if you consider coilovers. The main reason I went with BC was that it comes with a certificate needed to pass local MOT and I got it for a good price.

Sorry, I meant no problems after one year of use, including one trackday. Found a pic of the front strut here on the forum:
suspension002.jpg

You can see the weld at the bottom. The sleeve, shock etc can be removed, so it's just a hollow tube you weld onto the spindle. As classicswede mentioned, the BC spings can be a bit hard (softest option 6kg/mm). His stuff looks good so have a look if you consider coilovers. The main reason I went with BC was that it comes with a certificate needed to pass local MOT and I got it for a good price.

Can you post the certificate?

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 940 t
Which is stock right now (hopefully not for long) and my shock and springs are horrible after doing some google digging i found that BC racing are making coilovers specific for the 940 which is the ZG-09BR
I was wondering if anyone are using those if they are Bolt-on like they suppose to be. And if they are any good?
Another question is what are the ups and downs for coilovers on a 940 and if coilover is bad idea what is the alternative. Thanks

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/700-900-volvo-parts

The next question is are they actually approved or do they just provide a sheet of paper saying that they are. I'd guess the later, especially with the required welding.

Yes, the welding makes it more or less impossible to be approved as a whole. So it's still a slight gamble, even it has all the other info needed.

I am running GAZ on the front single adjustable inserts modded for coil-over on the front and GAZ double adjustable on the back from Yoshifab

The car is a night a day difference i am running IPD rear springs and 500LB front with helpers and it is stiff and a blast the way i have it set up.

The only thing i should have done different is went double adjustable on the front due to my driving style i push this car a lot more then i thought i would due to the positive feedback from the car I need way more tire now.

Back