• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will this clutch setup hold 300hp?

maxitoman007

Ok so my M46 in my 87 740 wagon pushing 20 psi through an eBay turbo is slipping in 3rd.
I found a good deal on some clutch parts on here (thanks sbabbs) and I now have a brand new clutch disc and PP ready to go in. My question now is if it will hold my power well while still providing a bit of insurance for the M46.

The setup is a clutchnet yellow pressure plate, and an OEM Volvo clutch disc. But here?s the catch, the disc is designed for a d24 diesel Volvo... Don?t know if that?s good or bad news. Only difference I can find between the stock 740 clutch discs and my new diesel stock clutch disc is an extra smaller set of springs on the diesel disc. Aside from there being the 4 main springs on the disc just like there is on the stock 740 discs, there is also a set of green smaller springs in a triangle arrangement...

Please enlighten me on if this is a good setup for my car. Talked to a guy in Sweden who says that there they always run upgraded PPs with stock discs to prevent grenading M46s. He says some are holding around 400hp....

What do you guys think?

Isn't the clutchnet stuff all just paint anyway? Also... if you make the PP super stiff, get ready to kiss your clutch cable goodbye if it hasn't snapped yet.

Furthermore, this doesn't really leave you anyplace to go from here when you blow up your transmission.

Hah, I remember when I put a Clutchnet clutch into my FT'ed M47 wagon. It lasted about 5 months, 2 1/2 of which were spent waiting out winter in the garage.

And by 'it' I mean the M47. It eventually ate third gear. Not a bad shift, just pedal down on a cool morning, hit 17 psi, boom. Probably around 230 - 240 HP.

IMG_6410.JPG

Yeah I already told him I grenaded 5 m46's in one year and he should upgrade his trans and go with billet steel flywheel but sheet costs money. I lost about 5k when the cast iron dog dish flywheel went on my old cheapo junkyard 12.61 ride, took the whole car and the getrag trans.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/45X58bJYLP0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also told him to break in the new clutch for 500 miles at least, lets see what happens..

Start saving up for a T5 swap.

Heck, start getting the parts. If you're really making 300 hp, that is.

There is no way you're going to stay out of boost for 500 miles.

Just keep in mind where your legs are and where all those spinny bits are.

The extra small spring section in the center of the disk helps with vibration and smoothness. The intercooled 240 turbos used the same disk type whereas the 740 turbos with the M46 did not. Probably helps a cable clutch operate smoother.

Well, new clutch setup is installed and I don't really know what to think. I've never felt a "new" clutch before so I have no clue if I'm experiencing any red flags. So far I've only driven the car about 10 km but here's what I've noticed so far:

- Engagement point is much lower (maybe an inch off the ground it starts to engage)
- Engagement is smooth and gradual, I can already start and shift smoother than before although this concerns me as I wanted more "grip" (I'm not experiencing the on/off switch type feeling most people describe with new clutches)
- Pedal pressure feels similar to before to spite the new PP
- haven't hit boost yet or anything to test the actual grabbing power but, no slipping so far.

What do you guys think?

Isn't the clutchnet stuff all just paint anyway?

My previous setup was a clutch net 'red spec' pressure plate on a flat flywheel. It was not actually painted red but there's no way in hell it was stock or anywhere near, it was so heavy it started bending the clutch fork and pedal box.

My previous setup was a clutch net 'red spec' pressure plate on a flat flywheel. It was not actually painted red but there's no way in hell it was stock or anywhere near, it was so heavy it started bending the clutch fork and pedal box.

Makes me wonder why my clutchnet yellow doesn't feel any stiffer. Maybe its just me?

Back