• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Rear Suspension

dualcitizen

Hello, the rear suspension on my new to me 940 Turbo is sagging quite a bit. The back end sits noticeably lower than the front. I suspect the rear shocks are worn. Would replacing them solve this? The car is a 92 with a solid rear axle, sedan. I'm not sure if I need to be looking at replacement springs too, or if new shocks should be fine. Quite sure it doesn't have nivomats, those were only on IRS cars, right?

Also, I'm not looking for any performance mods, this is a daily driver and it's going to be as soft as possible. I actually don't mind the cushy ride for our bad Quebec roads.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if I need to replace the springs, would it be advisable to get the wagon springs instead of the sedan version? I think I read somewhere here that someone recommended that since they were stiffer.

Unless you want a lowered stance, stock sedan/ saloon springs. Should be plenty of stock for OE rear springs. Wagon springs would probably provide too much elevation.

So you think that springs are the culprit?
Springs hold the car up off the ground.
Shocks are basically oil-filled tubes with a piston inside that, you know, "absorbs shocks", and after you hit a small bump, keeps the car from going boing-boing-boing-boing-boing....

When they're completely shot (or missing) you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NExBgHbxGo8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mr-UgWr8-s

PS: Nivomats look like this (big rubber bellows):

nivomat.jpg

Last edited:
IRS got the nivomats standard but they were available on solid axle cars too. Make sure you don't have them as suggested. If you do have nivomats it isn't abnormal for the car to sag if it isn't being driven. But after a short drive they should pump up and your height should be normal. if they are bad nivomats that you don't want to replace you'll need springs and shocks anyway.

Here is a shot that may or may not help. It doesn't have the billows that nivomat pictures do.

28453898887_e93f57feea_b.jpg

Here is how it sits. Notice the considerable gap difference between the front fender and the rear.

28453981267_c58010dd0e_b.jpg

Back