• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

v8 conversions?

Auto? Seems like the AOD trannies used on many Ford conversions are pretty weak and T5's are stronger. I am sure if you are running 500hp there are better auto trannies.

The 5.0/AOD 740 I drove also shifted like crap - the T5 conversion was a lot better in the example I have driven (though not great).

I need to get rid of my BMW 86 535i - seems like the 6cyl and getrag 260 should be able drop into my 240 or 740. Not sure it is worth it for just the 200hp. Though there are turbo kits for the M30 motor......

Auto? Seems like the AOD trannies used on many Ford conversions are pretty weak and T5's are stronger. I am sure if you are running 500hp there are better auto trannies.

The 5.0/AOD 740 I drove also shifted like crap - the T5 conversion was a lot better in the example I have driven (though not great).

i have an AOD from a '92 E250 van and a Lentech shift kit, $75 for the trans, shift kit was a trade.. the car dyno'd at 360whp and 465wtq, so far it works out pretty well.

Not that hard, but none are all that easy.

I put a heavily modified 5.0 in a 960 with instructions and it was tough. You will need to reman a driveshaft, rewire and plumb the engine bay, perhaps deal with firewall issues.

My miscellaneous parts/ labor expense (on top of donor car and recipient car) came to about $5500.00.

I have enjoyed the car daily for 2 years. I highly recomend using an automatic.
ii'd attach pics -- but cant figger out how...

Typically, that is what someone should look at spending when doing the swap,
however, sometimes a person can luck out as I did last year.

I managed to grab an 1984 760 that had been swapped over to a 5.0L with an AOD,
everything was rebuilt before being installed including the fuel system in the car itself.

The whole car was also fitted with IPD springs (highly recommended for the V8), sway bars, and poly bushings, as well as new brakes all around.

The whole package cost me a grand total of $500.00 (yes, this typed correctly).
Granted, the car needs some body work, required a new pinion seal and needs some other repairs,
But still a deal so just keep an eye out, never know what you may find.

760gle001.jpg

760gle006.jpg

*** the power bar is for oil pan heaters and block heaters ***
These are pictures of the car when I first picked it up,
I have since cleaned up the engine bay.

I have seen other V8 swap Volvos for sale with decent prices,
sometimes easier to just buy one done that to build it.

I do enjoy every minute behind the wheel of it,
and it seems to be difficult to pry others out of the drivers seat when I lend it to people,
but it all depends on what you enjoy.:cool:

Last edited:
Back