• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

Got some major engine bling from Nathan last week:
IMG_7936.jpg

Just waiting on some minor parts to get the head together (got the wrong Ferrea lash caps - for some reason they list the depth of the recess in the cap, but not the thickness added to the valve stem height, not even the overall height so you could subtract out the depth of the recess. I just sort of assumed that the only measurement offered (other than 7mm stem diameter) was the height added. But no. And the place I bought them from says special order, no returns. FML. VAC motorsports says their 7mm X 4mm lashcaps actually add 4mm, but then they want $9 a piece for them. Argh.).

So, in other words, close enough to start taking the car apart. Me ripping into a perfectly fine 300whp motor:
IMG_7934.jpg

Any interest in a stock 16V head and 8V intake on an adapter, all 3 well ported to match the shapes? Oh, and the 8V manifold has an N/A (larger) 850 throttle body on it, bigger, shorter (for clearance in a 240 vs. the master cylinder), and a proper TPS for Megasquirt. I guess I'll toss up a FS post soon.

saved finally... "hitting forehead with palm of hand"

And I'll take that head off your hands and the 8v-16v exhaust adapter

OK, got shamed into working on the car this evening. Really, it was just pouring outside, nothing better to do.
IMG_7953.jpg

Got lazy and didn't go under the car to jack the trans up, I just pulled off the longest studs on the head (the center 5 were too short to get two nuts on for removal), bashed a seam on the firewall over for about an inch's span, and had *just* enough room to get that upper head section off.

Pistons look great, cylinder walls look great. Looks like a tiny speck of metal (aluminum?) got into #1 at some point, there are a handful (literally, 4 or 5) tiny, tiny pock marks in the piston. Luckily it was small and made its way on out before doing any real harm.

Now - to wait for the lash caps and do the valve shimming on the bench, or go ahead and install the head and cam carrier now. I'm guessing the install - it's not that hard to shim on the car.

saved finally... "hitting forehead with palm of hand"

And I'll take that head off your hands and the 8v-16v exhaust adapter
You need a head? And there's no exhaust adapter - it's on the intake side. The log manifold is native 16V flanged.

Your timing belt looks broken! Can you test fit the head and istall the intake. Im curious how badly the intake hit the power steering resavoir and if the pump can be lowered for other members cars.

Broken timing belt, is that a problem??? :wtf: Heh, I just slid it off the cam gears and let it flop. I've got a spiffy blue kevlar belt to go on it when it goes back together, with a steel keyed timing gear and a spiffy underdrive pulley that's spaced to account for a 16V timing gear on a B230.

I sort of test fit the intake before I took the head off - it hit the dipstick tube, the A/C return line, and the reservoir lid.

- dipstick tube - just needs to be bent over some more.

- A/C return line - I was planning on re-routing that anyhow - instead of draping over the motor, running it forward from the compressor , around the front of the radiator, relocating the filter/drier/receiver/accumulator/whatever that big silver can is to the RF corner of the engine bay to get it away from the downpipe area, then running a line through the strut tower gap back to the evaporator outlet. But in any case, I'd need to remove the line as it currently sits to get the intake to set down any further.

- Power steering reservoir - with the manifold sitting on the dipstick tube and A/C line, it was an inch or two from sitting in the proper place - but it looks as though the throttle body will be *right* on top of the lid, if it doesn't actually touch it (which it might). Thus eliminating the ability to add power steering fluid. Not that I've ever needed to add power steering fluid the whole time I've had the car (scratch that - when I rebuilt the motor I had taken it off and rained it, and refilled it), but still not a good plan. I'm just planning on going by the PnP and getting a remote reservoir style pump and sticking the reservoir over on the side where the battery used to be.

I might bring the battery back up to the front from the butt cheek too, since I got the tiny, tiny Braille battery there's not much of a reason to have it in the back any more.

I can take that A/C line off, bend the dipstick tube, set the lower head back on, and show you the fit vs. the reservoir for you though.

Dang John, taking it yet again to the next level. Sonofa. Do work. Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up so I can check the beast out with all the new go fast bits.

sam might trade you power steering setups, he has the reservoir style and wants the one you've got.

I'll probably get around to making a FS thread with the head, the intake, and the short distributor at some point. A nice bolt on for a 240.

I guess the log mani too, it's got the larger runners, but it's a log. With a T28 flange on it.

I'm still not sure if I want to stick that GT3076R knockoff back on or not. I'm sort of out of 'mad money' to spend on it for now, I might leave a nicer turbo for next year. I've still got the whole flywheel (JohnV) and pressure plate situation (Saab 9000/Spec?) to deal with after I get the engine running. I have a T3-T28 adapter sitting in a box somewhere. Or maybe a $150 eBay T3, but what size? I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to sizing a turbo.

Intake mani fit with the integral reservoir:
IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

It's not able to sit down quite all the way - it's resting on the cap.

Also I'm starting to have my doubts on the exhaust manifold. At the very least the WG pipe will have to go:
IMG_7956.jpg

Way too snug on the evaporator pipes - even with the receiver drier out of the way. Also, I don't think I have room for the compressor outlet piping, it needs to go up, but it's underneath the front half of that pretty rams horn pattern. Hmmmm.......

Intake mani fit with the integral reservoir:
IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

It's not able to sit down quite all the way - it's resting on the cap.

Also I'm starting to have my doubts on the exhaust manifold. At the very least the WG pipe will have to go:
IMG_7956.jpg

Way too snug on the evaporator pipes - even with the receiver drier out of the way. Also, I don't think I have room for the compressor outlet piping, it needs to go up, but it's underneath the front half of that pretty rams horn pattern. Hmmmm.......

Oh, and a pic of the little Braille battery hanging out in the butt cheek. It made more sense to put the battery there when it was a 40 lb lead chunk (it made a noticeable improvement in open-diff launches - went from 90% right tire fire to more like 50/50, with more double lines), but I might as well put it back up front now that it weighs 10 lbs or something close.

IMG_7950.jpg

hmm, time to flip the intercooler? get an external reservoir setup mang :)

Yeah, I was going to hit the PnP this weekend to get a remote reservoir pump (Kenny - I'll def hang onto my internal one if Sam needs it).

My log manifold had been sounding a little chuffly again, I assumed it was another manifold gasket gone bad, but no, it was my crappy welding on the output flange. Cracked a good percentage of the radius where it's welded to the log. I don't think my crappy cheap MIG has enough power to adequately weld heavy metal like that.

Back