• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Progress has been slow, but I finally have the block ready for the crank/pistons, etc. All the rebuild stuff should be here next week, then I can assemble the long block and start figuring out all the little things that need figuring.

But for now, here we sit:

Last edited:
Welp. The crank is somewhere between here and Sac getting reground and polished, and I am amassing more and more parts by the day, but no real progress is being made due to not having the crank.

I did take apart the 15g I got from Pat, mostly out of curiosity. It looked pretty bad, with a lot of coked oil, so I bought a 19t wheel/housing and a genuine Mitsu rebuild kit, plus an 11 blade turbine to try to keep the boost spikes at bay.

Luckily, Noah was able to use his brother's lathe to machine the CHRA for me:

Despite not having pistons in the block, I strapped the head on so I could start working on oil/water lines and all the other stuff that needs to go in this general area:

I got some K-Jet injector holders and did some dremeling so they'd fit the newer style 850 injectors. I had to file off a bit of the side of the injector itself as well, but it's still a good snug fit at the o-ring, which is what will do all the sealing. It looks like the vent port in the valve cover is going to get in the way of a fuel rail, so I'll be getting rid of the vented cover:

Nice, clean engine! Good work.

Noticed that your car was spotted by the DrivingWhileAwesome guys on Instagram. Looks sweet rolling down the highway!

looks good! im loving the black wrinkle valve cover. think of just hacking off the vent near the paint line and tapping it for a right angle breather line?

got my idler arm upgrade in the mail yesterday :-D

looks good! im loving the black wrinkle valve cover. think of just hacking off the vent near the paint line and tapping it for a right angle breather line?

got my idler arm upgrade in the mail yesterday :-D

Thanks!

I thought about doing that exact thing, regarding the valve cover vent. Even with the 90 degree fitting, I think it'll still be a tight fit, since I'll probably end up using a stock B230 fuel rail. Plus, the vented one might be worth more to someone if I don't take a hacksaw to it.

Get that idler arm installed, it tightened things up considerably on my car.

Tfrasca,

Love the build! Thanks for sending me the link (will steal your rims idea). I love the injector holders and the VC. Did you have that powdercoated? Will continue to follow.

Thanks,

Tfrasca,

Love the build! Thanks for sending me the link (will steal your rims idea). I love the injector holders and the VC. Did you have that powdercoated? Will continue to follow.

Thanks, man. The valve cover is just painted with VHT wrinkle black spray paint and then cured for about an hour at about 200 degrees. It seems to cure really hard and is supposed to hold up to heat.

Why not use the earlier fuel rail? The one that bends down near that vent and has the fpr mounted lower?

I actually have one of those fuel rails from the 760 this motor came from. I doubt I'll be able to use it though, since I'll be building a manifold and the TB will end up right where that fuel rail would be. I ended up just flush cutting that vent nipple and JB welding the hole shut. I'll figure out the fuel rail situation, then drill and tap for a smaller vent port that will clear the rail/FPR.

I love the rims so much on your 142, I bought one. Will see how it fits and what I need to do. If everything works out,I will buy the other three. Look forward to seeing updates.

Thanks,

I love the rims so much on your 142, I bought one. Will see how it fits and what I need to do. If everything works out,I will buy the other three. Look forward to seeing updates.

Thanks,

Nice. Will you have them redrilled or use adapters? I have adapters if you need them.

Minor progress on the motor. Long block is assembled, and most of the other bits are being sorted out. I got a Melling M181, so I need to find a stock B23 oil transfer tube (I have an early B21 now, which works with a B20 pump). Then I need to shorten the pickup tube by an inch or so. Then I'll be able to bolt the oil pan on and the motor will be all sealed up.

I ordered some lines for turbo oil supply and return, got more LH 2.4 parts (harness from '89 240, distributor, CPS and bracket).

Getting there:

Back