• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Super heavy duty rear 245 springs?

D.E

tvåförti
I've got this set of rear springs for a 245 that I got included with some parts car years back. When I measured them with a caliper and tape measure, here's what I got:

Free height: 425mm (16,6")
Coil thickness: 14,8mm (0,578")

From what I can gather, regular wagon springs are 13mm thick and 407mm tall while overloads/caravan springs are 14mm thick and 410mm tall.

So what've I got?

I once put them on a stock 245 with new cheapie gas shocks and they raised it noticably. It also became super stiff, bouncy and generally horrible. :lol:

The old school IPD overloads that actually work when you're packing some weight.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=211056

DVC01093.jpg

Sweet, thanks. I doubt they're iPD's since they didn't sell anything here until a few years ago but I'm sure they are equivalent parts from a different vendor. Probably the same factory, Lesj?fors or whatever.

Because threads are useless without pics, here's a picture of my stupid stiff jacked up old 245 on Sellholm coilovers and these springs.

9668F6D6-FA4A-4B6C-8D8B-6FC80282D08A_zpsetdnztto.jpg

It has since been sold and is now on cut springs...

Sweet, thanks. I doubt they're iPD's since they didn't sell anything here until a few years ago but I'm sure they are equivalent parts from a different vendor. Probably the same factory, Lesj?fors or whatever.

I'm pretty sure the old school IPD springs were made by AFCO.

At least that's what the box said when I bought some back in the day....

:grin:

Because threads are useless without pics, here's a picture of my stupid stiff jacked up old 245 on Sellholm coilovers and these springs.

9668F6D6-FA4A-4B6C-8D8B-6FC80282D08A_zpsetdnztto.jpg

It has since been sold and is now on cut springs...

So 6-24 months left till it hits the crusher?

:oogle:

I plopped them on my daily/worktruck 245 yesterday and it raised the rear up 2”. :omg: Went for a test drive and found it to be extremely bumpy and with dangerous driving characteristics. If I take a turn in spirited fashion, the rear will start ”skipping” and getting all sorts of out of shape.

I suspect I’m all out of droop and bottoming my shocks. What can I do? I measured some 740 shocks and found them to be ~1” longer at full extension but that’s not a lot. What do you guys with lifted 240’s run?

Most 80's ford full sized car rear springs will work also. Work meaning will bolt in and fit. Stiff for sure. I put some cut ones in my 90 745, it was fun for a while till my back said no more.

Haha. Actually, here it is in June 2015 on cut springs. So it could still have two months to live. :lol:

7BC29884-7603-4EBF-AF03-A379254FE871_zpszuspknk5.jpg

Dude!
Love your setup!
What I did was to make make adjustable rear spring perch while keeping Bilstein HD's with "overload", or whatever they call them, wagon springs. So when I need to haul something, I jack the car and raise the springs about 2/2,5 cm, and when I don't need to haul anything, go back to stock ride height.

Works great so far.

1Ti6MlSl.jpg

Back