• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Serpentine Belt in 240

This (my) alternator is running backwards, based on the arrows indicating normal rotation. 00'- alternators are designed for this specific belt routing, so those are not running backwards as they are designed to run CCW.

Cuzz, the 00- can do the moonwalk? go forwards'n'backwards?

The 01+ have a fixed rotation?

Just want to be clear.

Does this 850 setup get rid of those blasted rubber bushings on all of the accessories? This alone would make it worth the swap.

YES All the rubber bushing are gone it's all mounted rigid.:)

That is good news indeed. I need a new AC compressor so now is the time to swap to a modern drive. Is it a Ford water pump (hard to imagine) or just the pulley?
Steve

It's just the pulley from a ford rear wheel drive 4 cal. I little bit of machining but not much. I also think a pulley from a long chevy water pump 350 style will work also but some spacing would have to be changed. Hopefully this weekend I will get some more photos posted

Which is NOT what we want, right???

If you route the belt such that a dual rib belt is required (as with mine), of course allowing for the addition of the WP on the right/center, then you DO want the CCW alternator (whether it's clutch pulley or not), since air flow through the alt is likely more of an issue with RWD setups.

Here is a photo of the belt with the roation suggested. Works out great belt can be the same length or a little shorter. Only problem is the single sided belt is $25.00 and double sided is like $75..

IMG_6064.jpg
[/IMG]

I'd still like one of these please.

:)

Got all my 850 stuff waiting to go...got my PS pump, Alternator and A/C compressor, along with some, well, now useless single-sided belts, a tensioner and the bracket.

Did you say something about modifying the 850 bracket? If so, do you have a detailed picture?

Ok so double sided belts are hard to come by. The single sided belt I was using was 83 1/4 inch which worked on the alternate routing. Could be an inch shorter or so. The only double sided belt I could find was a dodge caravan 2000 which is like 79". I think this will work if I raise the tensenor arm a little. Have to wait till next week to try it out.

Finally got it done. Found a double sided belt. They don't make as many sized in the double sided as the single side. Had to move the tensioner and modify it a bit. Here is a couple photos of the new routing and belt.
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_6309.jpg
IMG_9213.jpg

If anyone is interested in the parts I'm going to make a post in the for sale forum.

this is fantastic except for 16v guys like myself. The 16v gear is wider so everything else wont align up exactly unless you can find a way to space the tensioner/bracket for the power steering/ Alt/ and AC Compressor out a little farther front engine wise

Back