• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

newbie advice, 940 wagon build

Dannyt0186

hey t-brickers

i was looking around for a new daily/beater and came across what i now own (1991 turbo 940 wago). old girl is pushing 260k+ and she pistons slaps like the best of them but runs good...not great, but recently noticed a lil coolant mixing with my oil in the reservoir so i hunted for a cheap FT, but instead scored a complete 91 b230f with 90,000 miles. i plan on doing a mild "swedish special" cheap-o build and have already received my china-bay rods and rod bolts.

here are my plans

Intended uses: mild drifting, highway pulls and aggressive grocery getting

what i have:
-stage 0 complete maint and new water pump.
-m46 90% complete swap parts(yes yes i know T5 everything... can't afford it for now)
-chinabay rods
-tlao chips (need chip friendly ezk)
-FAST efi wideband(not fitted)
-3" downpipe(on the car)
-big core FMIC(not on)
-19t converted turbo with ARD billet wheel(on the car)
-Forge unos MBC (at 14psi currently)
-ebay manifold with flipped flange.(no fitted)
-holset hy35(dunno what to do with it)
-volvo 15G(don't know what to do with it)
-boost/water temp gauge
-front springs cut one coil
-metallic front race pads
-MS in the future

I've never messed with volvos !PERIOD, but have built a few other cars and know my way around boost, but am gonna come into this with full newb mentality so i can learn some things. i want to build a quick spooling trolling sleeper that will be fairly simple and inexpensive. I'm not too sure if 15+psi will be kosher on an NA b230 or not and from what I've read and understand, the typical "thicker headgasket= lower comp" trick doesn't work well with these engines.

any and all advice will be greatly appreciated....

what bearings are recommended??
what HG do i use??

thanks all

Where in CT are you? Check if it's the Trans cooler in the radiator that is leaking. And the head gasket job is easy I've done it a few times on a few motors.

Okoye. I'm in Stamford, also noticed a little coolant pooling around the bottom edges of the head under the intake manifold. Maddog.......looking for advice/guidance from knowledgeable folks that have built these motors like the swedes have using budget friendly items. I know my build isn't going to be a balls to the walls build, but I would like to tickle 350whp. How extensive should I go with the bottom end and more importantly, is there anyway I can reduce the comp 1 pt or at least bring it to b230ft equivalent.

Thanks again guys and I'm confusing some of you folks, please excuse me

i replaced it with stage0 because the temp gauge was dead. ill inspect again when i get home from work just to make sure all is well.

thanks for the advice.

Just checked and it doesn't seem like it is the sensor, but oddly enough I ran it today for a bit and it's no longer happening....???

Bolt on hy35, throw away m/t/whatever cam, take out the pistons and remove as much of them as you dare (lower compression), bolt it together and turn up the boost.

Or just leave the compression as is and run e85.

Back