• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Automatic Discussion (part 2)

but if you were to use one with a different bellhousing .. say one off a dodge, swap on the AW71 bellhousing onto that trans core, use the clutches out of the stronger trans, and the better pump of the two, and then use whatever TC will work

the old aw-55 (borg warner bw55) used in old 240's does have a seperate bellhousing, a seperate bellhousing that shares the trans bolt pattern with an aw30-43 and the engine bolt pattern with a redblock...

any thoughts? has the idea been discussed before?

No I don't believe it has been discussed here and I think that is very interesting.

I also wonder if the 960 driveshaft would work. Probably not....

edit:

Is that the same ultra-slush box that came in 144s? Does the B21/23/23x family have the same transmission bolt pattern as a B18/20 ?

no the pump is not integral to the housing, the aw7X just has the pump and OD assembly in the "bellhousing".

ah sorry integral is the wrong word i was trying to say inside and expand my vocab at the same time but i failed. :-P so can anyone come up with torque ratings for the aw7x variants? and after polishing a turd, you still have just that, a polished turd, so would any of the variants be worth the trouble...?

No I don't believe it has been discussed here and I think that is very interesting.
I also wonder if the 960 driveshaft would work. Probably not....

edit:
Is that the same ultra-slush box that came in 144s? Does the B21/23/23x family have the same transmission bolt pattern as a B18/20 ?

no need to mod a 960 driveshaft, you should be able to flip-flop parts and bolt the bw55 tailshaft housing on there...

that slushbox 3spd came in those cars as well as 240's up until like '83 or so, it was the predecessor to the aw-7x, has a redblock boltpattern... b20/b23x have the same bolt pattern anyway.

borg warner morphed into aisin warner... before the bw55 was phased out it was renamed the aw-55 :)

i don't particularly plan on swapping in an auto (any time soon) i am just trying to bring ideas to the table and i KNOW someone here has a bw55 laying around to play with the bellhousing. at least a bw55 bellhousing is a closer match to a housing that may be adapted to use a different trans... just trying to think outside of the box and bring ideas to the table..

edit:// maybe barry240 has some good input?

Last edited:
Looking at this it seems like reducing the governer pressure would net us the later shifts and the ability to down shift from a higher rpm (not just thinking drag racing here) without raising line pressure too much. That should also mean that when manually shifting the shift would happen when you tell it to. So less line pressure - more clutches would be the best option. On a related question what would keep us from using one of the b&m type shifters on our cars? Do GMs shift in a very different way? I know when doing the shift kit in those it's just removing a couple of balls and it's a fully manual valve body - not more automatic shifting up and down. What would it take to make our trannies do that?

Thanks
Renny

ah sorry integral is the wrong word i was trying to say inside and expand my vocab at the same time but i failed. :-P so can anyone come up with torque ratings for the aw7x variants? and after polishing a turd, you still have just that, a polished turd, so would any of the variants be worth the trouble...?

Call it what you will, the supra (a34X, actually) auto trans is a beast, and has a higher rating than any of the gearboxes that are currently popular swaps. To get a gm transmission that will perform and do what you'd want it to do with some assurance that it'll last you're looking at spending a large amount of money to adapt something that may or may not last any longer than intelligent modifications to what can already drop in, so to speak.

no need to mod a 960 driveshaft, you should be able to flip-flop parts and bolt the bw55 tailshaft housing on there...
that slushbox 3spd came in those cars as well as 240's up until like '83 or so, it was the predecessor to the aw-7x, has a redblock boltpattern... b20/b23x have the same bolt pattern anyway.
borg warner morphed into aisin warner... before the bw55 was phased out it was renamed the aw-55 :)
i don't particularly plan on swapping in an auto (any time soon) i am just trying to bring ideas to the table and i KNOW someone here has a bw55 laying around to play with the bellhousing. at least a bw55 bellhousing is a closer match to a housing that may be adapted to use a different trans... just trying to think outside of the box and bring ideas to the table..

interesting, might have to scare one of those up and see. I would imagine the bolt pattern on the cases didn't change too greatly, wouldn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

renny D said:
Looking at this it seems like reducing the governer pressure would net us the later shifts and the ability to down shift from a higher rpm (not just thinking drag racing here) without raising line pressure too much. That should also mean that when manually shifting the shift would happen when you tell it to. So less line pressure - more clutches would be the best option. On a related question what would keep us from using one of the b&m type shifters on our cars? Do GMs shift in a very different way? I know when doing the shift kit in those it's just removing a couple of balls and it's a fully manual valve body - not more automatic shifting up and down. What would it take to make our trannies do that?

This is definitly one thing to look at & something i've been pondering for a few days now. I would imagine one could make an aw71 a manual valve bodied transmission, but might in the process lose overdrive. Not so bad for a drag only car, but miserable for one thats driven around town.

Call it what you will, the supra (a34X, actually) auto trans is a beast, and has a higher rating than any of the gearboxes that are currently popular swaps. To get a gm transmission that will perform and do what you'd want it to do with some assurance that it'll last you're looking at spending a large amount of money to adapt something that may or may not last any longer than intelligent modifications to what can already drop in, so to speak.

that is what i am saying though, a supra trans is a aw30-40 variant, not an aw71 variant... it is specifically extremely close to the 960 trans and according to wiki, they are the same trans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#A340E_.2830-40LE.29

so therefore not a turd and i am trying to think of ways one might be able to mate it to a redblock.

i.e. use a bw55 bellhousing on the A341e late model supra turbo trans, figure out the torque converter setup needed, use bw55 tail housing and bolt to redblock.

Last edited:
that is what i am saying though, a supra trans is a aw30-40 variant, not a aw71 variant... it is specifically extremely close to the 960 trans and according to wiki, they are the same trans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#A340E_.2830-40LE.29

so therefore not a turd and i am trying to think of ways one might be able to mate it to a redblock.

i.e. use a bw55 bellhousing on the A341e late model supra turbo trans, figure out the torque converter setup needed, use bw55 tail housing and bolt to redblock.

or just get a 960 box, put the extra clutch thats in the supra turbo trans in it, and rock out ;)
While you're in there you could replace the stock frictions with some nice stuff.

or just get a 960 box, put the extra clutch thats in the supra turbo trans in it, and rock out ;)
While you're in there you could replace the stock frictions with some nice stuff.

right, exactly... and if you figure out a torque converter setup and use the bw55 bellhousing to mate to redblock you'd be in business!

control it using something like the poi's method and it would be killer.

From what i've been able to gather thus far, they all seem to share the same style of pump and converter (if not the same pump period). I'll be getting an a43e(i think) from my supra buddy this weekend to desr...err examine closely :cough:. And I'm trying to put a hit out on fancy clutches and steels, will post more info as it becomes available (price, availability, etc). This would be in addition to the raybestos stuff.

not to mention there is soooo much aftermarket **** available to beef up the aw30-40le... even the jeep guys claim kits that will stand in excess of 650lb/ft torque.

not to mention there is soooo much aftermarket **** available to beef up the aw30-40le... even the jeep guys claim kits that will stand in excess of 650lb/ft torque.

I wouldn't say there's a ton, but once we can nail all of this down it will certainly provide a guided means to an end. I think they might all share the same clutch design as well, more on this in a bit.

Mike did you ever get anywhere with the group buy of the high stall converters? I think a high stall with a lock up would be great to have. Also was that manual valve body you had toast? Would be interesting to open it up and look to see where the differences are between that and a stock unit. I might give us a clue as to what was changed to make it a manual valvebody.

Thanks

Renny
PS how did it go with Gus and the holset.

I still have their number but I have been to busy to follow up ... so unless someone else wants to deal with them

valve body is on my current trans and is just a lvl10 VB so

Back