• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another Canadian B23FT build

gale

CAEBAVE1.jpg

This is my car. It?s a 87 745 turbo that I have had since 2000. It?s an Alberta car so it came to me with zero rust and about 180,000km. The rest is TB history.

I read Mcbrooms and set up a plan. I have a long history with this car and several motors (too much boost and a broken heater hose). I will not bore you with all the details but this motor began as an idea after I was replacing a HG and found a crack between cylinder #1 and 2. The cracked motor was sleeved (very long story) and could have survived a little longer with the crack in the block (not in the sleeves itself). But I decided to pulled the motor and start from scratch. New block and newish head.

I began by sourcing a block. I didn?t actually think I would find a *new* block but after looking around TB I found foggyjames. Foggy had a new, never used, b23 block just sitting around. Shipping from the UK to Canada sucked balls. I got the motor in April of 2007 and started work.

Bottom end:
Forged crank and rods from my previous B23FT.

DSCF2070.jpg

All internals were sonic checked then balanced.
New set of stock sized Mahle pistons.

DSCF1407.jpg

Drilled and tapped the block for turbo return.

DSCF2691.jpg

Stealthfti?s #5 thrust bearing chamfer trick for more oil supply.
Drilled and tapped for BMW oil squirters.

DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2069.jpg

more to come...

Cylinder Head:
530 with about 40 hours of bucket work.
HPIM0097.jpg

HPIM0098.jpg

head1.jpg

practice head
HPIM0109.jpg

MVP adjustable cam gear from previous engine
DSCF2675.jpg

VX3 cam
DSCF2716.jpg

lapped valves
Grooved with my own variation of the Somender theory. I used a 3 axis at work and built a program to make all grooves the same (no cameras allowed at work)
DSCF2517.jpg

DSCF2669.jpg

DSCF2670.jpg

DSCF2551.jpg

Cometic HG with some Hylomar spray

Turbo:
TD05-16g
I spent about 2 hours bent over a sandblasting cabinet cleaning and polishing everything on this turbo. Sand then glass till my back hurt.
DSCF1310.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

The hot side has most of the work. Hot side turned on a lathe to open up the exhaust side.
DSCF2722.jpg

DSCF2744.jpg

Removed stainless steel WG cap and ported the WG hole (forgot the camera that day)
WG cap was machined thinner to allow it to open up bigger
Stainless steel cap was then welded on at an angle to allow WG to open further
DSCF2741.jpg

DSCF2745.jpg

Hot side inlet was opened up and ground smooth with air tools
DSCF2742.jpg

Shaft and turbines were then balanced to perfection by Herman. Homemade BOV block off plate from aluminum
DSCF2736.jpg

DSCF2819.jpg

misc photos of turbo
DSCF2724.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg

Wow.

How much beer would I have to lure you with to come to Alberta and teach me a thing or two about how to do things? :D Hell, I'd drive out there and give you a hand on your car if you'd like. Driving to Quebec in late July :)

- R

those groves are beautiful. what fuel system>? with that turbo expect about 250hp hopefully

Looking good, can't wait to hear about it being all together and driving... Was the machine at work unable to go farther down in depth on the grooves as they enter into the chamber, or is that how you wanted them done? Curious as to your thoughts on what made you arrange them in those directions, care to elaborate? :)

Get'r done! :rockon:
with that turbo expect about 250hp hopefully
What do you mean by "hopefully"?

Looking good, can't wait to hear about it being all together and driving... Was the machine at work unable to go farther down in depth on the grooves as they enter into the chamber, or is that how you wanted them done? Curious as to your thoughts on what made you arrange them in those directions, care to elaborate? :)

Get'r done! :rockon:
What do you mean by "hopefully"?

i mean lh 2.4 sucks

I'm in London town Ontario.

klr142 - I will elaberate when I get some time. I could have built the 3-axis program any way I wanted. I wanted to do it that way. Maybe I was a little nervous about cutting grooves in my head.

did you see that little blue behind my turbo....
DSCF2822.jpg

Turbo is completely custom.

I ordered some bits for my exhaust. With the CDN dollar strong against the US I was able to get all this stainless for $95 shipped.

DSCF2773.jpg

a few cuts and some stretching
DSCF2813.jpg

DSCF2812.jpg

Back