• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Yesterday, I set out to get some sound clips of my exhaust. Ended up just driving around like an *******.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QVusxOf95B0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is quickly spiraling out of control:

I plan on getting the T5 installed this winter. Shouldn't be too dramatic, especially now that I have a garage to work in. Doing this engine swap in an open driveway last winter was ridiculous.

The 16v will be a much longer term project. Next year, at the soonest. That said, when I start that, I'll want to sell my 8v head, injectors, fuel rail, intake manifold, downpipe, and maybe manifold/turbo set up. All that stuff would make an OHC swap relatively bolt-on for some 140 owner...

Yes! Great progress and a promising update. Love the video. Hooning is why you bust all those knuckles.

Yes! Great progress and a promising update. Love the video. Hooning is why you bust all those knuckles.

Thanks! It's easy to forget that when the thing just sits for so long. That's why I want to do the T5 and 16v in two separate stages, rather than just ripping the thing apart for another 6 months.

By the way, I switched the Forge bypass valve around and it makes less noise at part throttle. Nice, audible bypass sound when letting off, but no weird miscellaneous whistling. Thanks, Harlard.

Boring update:

I have decided to put the 16v thing on hold more or less indefinitely. This car needs so much more work to be totally reliable, so I'll spend my time on the T5, rear end/LSD, suspension bushings, etc.

Also, I have been trying to use a TurboXS HP boost controller to get a steady 15 psi, but I couldn't get any reliable performance out of it. I over boosted it a few times, and during that process, lost a freeze plug. That was really annoying, and I never want it to happen again. All the retainers on the market are for B230s, with no option for a B23. I made this and I think it'll work:

When I was pulling the turbo off, I found that my Aeroquip return hose was on the verge of cracking from the heat. Don't use it for that application, I guess:

Replaced it with a braided steel hose from the local shop:

Hopefully I can just drive it for a while then get the T5 in before the Coastal Range Rally in February.

Soooo what's your price on the 16v stuff?

Can't commit to selling yet. I pretty much want to get the 8v running well on 15psi, get the fuel system and drivetrain sorted, then decide if I want to make more power.

I'm 90% sure that at that point, I'll want to make more power.

".....on the verge of cracking...." LOL - I think you went right past the 'verge' line....glad you caught it before it failed in operation. FWIW, I think your approach of taking care of fundamentals first before 'upgrading again' is a sound one.

".....on the verge of cracking...." LOL - I think you went right past the 'verge' line....glad you caught it before it failed in operation. FWIW, I think your approach of taking care of fundamentals first before 'upgrading again' is a sound one.

Yeah, I guess I should say it was on the verge of cracking clean in half. Lucky I happened to lose a freeze plug before losing an oil line.

Back