• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b20 flywheel options/alternatives

There were some balance marks on mine that they had to touch a little, plus they did the pressure plate with it. Granted that plate is gone now, but they did the flywheel solo, then bolted the plate, remaining weight adjusted on the plate.

Curious what the price is John? Is it half of $50? If so, I'm in for one as well! Serious question actually, since I'm in the beginning stages of a build plan for the 140 as well.

Yeah but he has cheaper ones without dat sexty minus two. I had to get volvo ring gears and then put them on my johnv's also don't forget to factor that in. I'm hoping my local guy who turns brake drums and shoes can cut some out of the middle of one of my johnv's so I can use a 850R clutch disc in it. Middle hole too small inner metal part of disc rubs on it. Or I could buy custom clutch disc that doesn't have any metal hanging low in the middle on flywheel side?

wut.jpg

left low, stock 215mm flat flywheel 5.5 inch center hole then johnv 5 inch hole. Above left TTV m90 850r clutch 6 inch hole and above right johnv. both john v's designed to take 240mm saab areo 9000 pressure plate, but not made to fit any clutch disc?? Big center hole only 5 inches. Need 6 inch for 850r disc. 5.5 inch for 215/228mm volvo disc.

Last edited:
I had to get volvo ring gears and then put them on my johnv's also don't forget to factor that in.

Yeah, life is hard sometimes.

I'm hoping my local guy who turns brake drums and shoes can cut some out of the middle of one of my johnv's so I can use a 850R clutch disc in it. Middle hole too small inner metal part of disc rubs on it.

Is there a reason for the will to use the 850R clutch disc?

Or I could buy custom clutch disc that doesn't have any metal hanging low in the middle on flywheel side?

If you have the ability to talk and use a telephone you could try there:
https://californiaclutch.com/
:roll:

Don't mean to be rude or anything, but you sound like somebody who actively want to be upset.
How long did you had those flywheel laying around?
Wanna sell one?

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
I had to get volvo ring gears and then put them on my johnv's also don't forget to factor that in.

Ha, no people wanna know the cost so they need to know the johnv don't have ring gear on them. JohnV put ring gear on mine for me. I sent him a flywheel to take it off of. I'm not mad at johnV about anything. I'm just asking questions trying to get answers to why sheet is why.

Yeah that is the disc that works with the redblock M90 5 speed manual transmission.

I got two of them to put in two cars, luckily one of them came with a ttv flywheel that was made for this. Since you seem to be in the know what clutch disc will work with johnV flywheel that uses saab areo 9000 240mm pressure plate? Without rubbing in the middle metal section. Stock volvo flywheel is 5.5 inches, johnv 5 inches.. Yeah half an inch who knew? Who? Will the saab areo 9000 clutch disc work without rubbing it out? Ha...

Sure I could get custom disc made. Tell the clutchnet or whomever that I need disc that will work with my flywheel that was made with too small a hole for anything..

Probably what I'll have to do. I'm trying to sell all my 16v stuff, over that, then maybe I'll have an extra 300 buxs or more for custom clutch disc.

I'm not upset at all if you can find out and tell me exactly what clutch disc johnV was thinking would work with his 5 inch hole custom flywheels? What is was the logic to make them smaller hole then stock???? Answer that yes man..

Not to sound like I don't wanna sell you one, but johnV gotta lotta them to sell you. Gobble em up.

I can go to my local friction materials and get something made using my demeanor.

Last edited:
Aluminum is just too light for the street.

6BoltFlywheelTilton.jpg

There is a bit more than JUST a material change on that one. The small twin or tripple disk isn't for the faint of heart and you also get to remove all the weight from where it makes the most difference. My only real beef with aluminum flywheels is that the thin steel insert takes a lot of heat and can warp with a little abuse. Might get away with it on vintage street cars but nothing that's going to heat the clutch up.

If there is interest I can see about doing a 6 bolt version of my steel flywheel for the vintage guys. Not the cheapest option but it is up to the task for sure.

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----
:e-shrug:

Not trying to be a pain, but you know, when someone says their stuff is just over half the price but they won't post a price, it makes one wonder.

I've dealt with JV before you know, ain't my first foray. If you sell parts you make, why not post a price when you're talking about your parts in a thread from someone asking about the parts you're posting are available? Josh posts prices when needed, TLAO posts prices on his stuff, I post prices for the stuff I make, only thing I don't post prices on is stuff I resell and that is for legal reasons.

Or is typing 3 numbers and a dollar sign too much work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post

Ha, no people wanna know the cost so they need to know the johnv don't have ring gear on them. JohnV put ring gear on mine for me. I sent him a flywheel to take it off of. I'm not mad at johnV about anything. I'm just asking questions trying to get answers to why sheet is why.

Yeah that is the disc that works with the redblock M90 5 speed manual transmission.

I got two of them to put in two cars, luckily one of them came with a ttv flywheel that was made for this. Since you seem to be in the know what clutch disc will work with johnV flywheel that uses saab areo 9000 240mm pressure plate? Without rubbing in the middle metal section. Stock volvo flywheel is 5.5 inches, johnv 5 inches.. Yeah half an inch who knew? Who? Will the saab areo 9000 clutch disc work without rubbing it out? Ha...

Sure I could get custom disc made. Tell the clutchnet or whomever that I need disc that will work with my flywheel that was made with too small a hole for anything..

Probably what I'll have to do. I'm trying to sell all my 16v stuff, over that, then maybe I'll have an extra 300 buxs or more for custom clutch disc.

I'm not upset at all if you can find out and tell me exactly what clutch disc johnV was thinking would work with his 5 inch hole custom flywheels? What is was the logic to make them smaller hole then stock???? Answer that yes man..

Not to sound like I don't wanna sell you one, but johnV gotta lotta them to sell you. Gobble em up.

I can go to my local friction materials and get something made using my demeanor.

It was splained maybe 10 years ago when I was soliciting people's desires for the options..The ID was done that size so the option of using a twin or tripple disc Tilton 7 1/2 inch clutch or AP or Alcon or Ram set up..with 190 OD the ID had to be smaller..The twin disc is old estalish option and common as fawk way back in the early 1990s when the typical n.a. B23-230 rally motors were 235 hp..
Since about 95% of all those who have gone steel have gone Clutch-Net or now Calforlorniaclutch disc there has been only one other person who also for whatever reason decided to use an 850 disc..
I can't anticipate EVERY imaginable option....things change..Hell the damn Saab 240 pressure plate jumped up more than $40 AND was listed a s "discontinued" 2 days after i ordered the 2 in the whole country that World Pac had in the inventory....and only after hors of blah blah-ing with the Krautskis did I find that it was a supercession to a NEW PART number--1 digit change..and that it was suddenly $200 my cost...Yikes...That's spensive..
That's why in the latest run I stopped with the Saab 240 option and went to Kennedy 228 and "old 215" flat flywheel pattern.

Sorry your 850 disc hits on the ID...but can you really complain that I should have anticipated that somebody would go that route?

Not trying to be a pain, but you know, when someone says their stuff is just over half the price but they won't post a price, it makes one wonder.

I've dealt with JV before you know, ain't my first foray. If you sell parts you make, why not post a price when you're talking about your parts in a thread from someone asking about the parts you're posting are available? Josh posts prices when needed, TLAO posts prices on his stuff, I post prices for the stuff I make, only thing I don't post prices on is stuff I resell and that is for legal reasons.

Or is typing 3 numbers and a dollar sign too much work?

Every job is different. so many prices are different..Some people want another bolt circle. Some want 60-2, some don't..
If they want then they can call..I know its such a strain to not have a fixed price and just click shipped bang, but if I wrote $250 I'm sure somebody would complain since that seems to be the standard operating procedure for TBers..Or somebody would whine when i said "Plus postage" when they ordered..

Like above, can't make all the Tbers happy all the time..

Okay makes sense then why you made it that way for the smaller twin and triple disc setups. I can get it fixed no problem. Will any of the other saab pressure plates that are 228mm work on the saab areo 240mm pattern?

Back