• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 240 Charging Issue

LBM240Wagon

I just replaced the alternator on the 240, and it is not charging. Ground is good to the case, 12V measured at the B+ lug told me no charging. I checked the D+ exciter wire (connected to the alternator), and was reading 1.6V. I disconnected it, turned the car on and got 12V. Re-connected it to the lug and again 1.6V after startup. Disconnected it from the case, turned the car on and it measured 12V again. I then touched it to the lug and I believe the alternator turned on, and the reading stayed at 12V on the voltmeter.

Thinking the lug was possibly grounding to the case, I checked that and added a plastic washer for the hell of it. Still reads 1.6V when attached after startup.

Any ideas?

alt956.jpg

Last edited:
Chain stores are sketchy on electrical stuff. Had issues with Vatozone alternators. Took it to a reputable rebuilder in my area, and he laughed at it. Gave me a rebuilt Bosch and sent me on my way.

Asking what the voltage is on your exciter wire disconnected, with the key on.

I think the guys ^^^ are on to something about bunk out of box alternators. We have had to do them three or four times before finding a good one with aftermarket junk.

why did you start down this rabbit hole?

where is the other end of the ground wire?

why did I start down what rabbit hole? The old alternator crapped out on me so I went to the parts store to get a new one....Is that what you're asking?

I have continuity from the ground wire attached to the alternator case to the ground at the battery.

why did I start down what rabbit hole? The old alternator crapped out on me so I went to the parts store to get a new one....Is that what you're asking?

I have continuity from the ground wire attached to the alternator case to the ground at th
yes, "crapped out"?
are both alternators acting the same?
you have a problem w 13.8v running or something else?

Last edited:
You can also do voltage drop tests on the ground wire.
The crimps on the ground wires go bad underneath the insulation where you can't see it.

It's likely a bad reman alt.

Last edited:
I do not have the old alternator anymore. In hindsight I should have had them bench test it 1st before swapping it out at the store. I took the new one back to the parts store and had it bench tested this AM. It failed... They are shipping in a reman Bosch alternator from Orlando. Hopefully I'll be back in business tomorrow. I will have them test that one on the bench before I leave the store.

I do not have the old alternator anymore. In hindsight I should have had them bench test it 1st before swapping it out at the store. I took the new one back to the parts store and had it bench tested this AM. It failed... They are shipping in a reman Bosch alternator from Orlando. Hopefully I'll be back in business tomorrow. I will have them test that one on the bench before I leave the store.

Everytime I get a parts store bought alternator I have them check it. I'm not sure what triple checked means from Autozone since I had failed ones out of the box before,lol.

I have had them where they charge ok, but let's say on a BMW, where the instrument cluster warning message will still be on.

I have had them where they charge ok, but let's say on a BMW, where the instrument cluster warning message will still be on.

This happens because the diode pack for the idiot light circuit is bad on a bosch alternator. There will be lower voltage output at the D+ than what is on B+. I bought a new volvo branded bosch alternator that did that and have seen it now a few times.

Over the last couple of years it really seems like it can be hit or miss with this stuff. I bought a reman Denso on ebay. The big bearing behind the pulley lasted about a year. It failed so badly that the internal fan started rubbing and making a horrid noise. I've also bought denso regulators that promise the 14.6v output and fail after a few months.

He swapped out my alternator for the Bosch unit this morning but I don't have confidence that is what my issue is/was. He tested it the same way he tested the previous one yesterday and it failed. He changed the connections on the bench (unplugged the little black box to the W+ (What is this box by the way?)) and it passed. He tested the previous alternator and it passed too.

So I brought the Bosch home and started checking my ground. I pulled the ground cable out and it looked ok, however when I bent it to straighten it out, the insulation cracked and broke apart. So I'm off to make a new one. I'm beginning to wonder if its something in the charge circuit? -I'm really regretting NOT testing my original alternator.

Back